title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Saracens Head Inn

Coventry Evening Telegraph clipping from mid-1961

NAME SARACENS HEAD INN
ADDRESS LONGFORD ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS LITTLE BEATON, FOLESHILL

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1765 1876 SARACENS HEAD INN
1879 1922 OLD SARACENS HEAD
1922 c2000 SARACENS HEAD
1876 1924 BEERHOUSE, Longford

To the Greek and Romans, a Saracen was a nomad of the Arabian desert. The word came to mean ' Arab ' and then Moslem, especially with regard to the Crusades. Noble families whose members had taken part in the Crusades might include a Saracen's head as part of their arms.

The Saracens Head and Coach and Horses stood alongside each other in the centre of Longford. Longford Wake was held outside the Saracens. In front of the Saracens Head was the ' cheap jack ' selling china, cutlery and jewellery from Birmingham and other fancy goods.

In 1765 the Saracens head was used for auctions. From 1876 to 1921 and in 1924 it was theBEERHOUSE, Longford

In 1983 Manns brewery spent £60,000 on a renovation that included regency shop windows on the inside walls of the bar. It is now a Chinese restaurant.

Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.

Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).

Known Licensees are;
1830 - 1850 George Hastelow Pickard
1851 John Clarke licensed victualler at the Saracens Head, Little Beaton
1861 John Orton carpenter at the Saracens Head, Little Beaton, Foleshill
1863 - 1871 John Smith & boot & shoe maker
1874 Joseph Hammersley

1876 - 1924 thiis is listed as the BEERHOUSE, Longford
1876 William Marples
1921 - 1922 S. Mason

1929 - 1940 Arthur Sephton (see notes)
c1949 - 1961 Jack Sephton Staley (see clipping above)
1961 - 1962 and onwards Arthur Sephton Staley (see clipping above)
1985 Frank Roden

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.