|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||YE OLDE SALUTATION INN, SALVATION|
|ADDRESS||2 LONDON ROAD|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||29 LONDON ROAD, MUCH PARK STREET, MISFORD STREET|
In medaeval times the first inn outside New Gate on the city walls was the Salutation. It is said that it got its name because of its proximity to the shrine of Our Lady of the Tower, owned by the Whitefriars Monastery. Dugdale states: 'This Chapell is in the tower of the Cittye Wall without New Gate close by the roadway leading towards London. On the outside thereof was a picture of the blessed Virgin, richly painted, and within an image and her altar, whereat most travellers which passed by did offer more or lesse, out of confidence that their journey would be better blest'.
So travellers who passed that way would make an offering or pray at the shrine in the belief that their journey would thus be blessed with good fortune. It was the practice of people who passed the shrine daily to salute it. Hence the nearby inn gained the name 'Salutation'. Following the dissolution of the monasteries the name came to mean a greeting to the city, as this was one of the first pubs encountered when approaching along the London Road.
In 1756 three soldiers were billeted here and in 1780 a reward was offered for the apprehension of robbers who had accosted the landlord, Richard Armstrong. In 1899 it was leased by Phillips and Marriott for 21 years for £60 per annum from James Warden of Walsgrave. They could purchase the pub for £1600 during the term of the lease.
In 1926 & 1927 the name was mis-spelt in directories as 'Salvation'. It was demolished on 21st December 1962 to make way for the building of the London Road section of the Ring Road.
1780 Richard Armstrong
1822 - 1823 T. Pearson
1835 Daniel Claridge
1841 George Yardley
1850 Joshua Clarke
1850 - 1855 N. Charnock
1861 Joseph Taylor
1868 - 1871 George Burnett
1879 - 1881 William Franklin
1886 - 1891 C. J. Vincent
1893 - 1894 A. Loudon
1896 Jonathan Frazier
1900 Richard Reading
1902 Charles Bass
1903 David Gamble
1904 - 1905 L. Hughes Clarke
1905 Horace Henry Yandell
1906 - 1910 John Morley
1910 Eliza Morley
1911 - 1922 Robert Brown
1929 - 1934 J. C. Gaynor
1935 - 1940 W. J. Weir
1955 - 1957 Frederick Matty
1960 - 1962 J. E. Abel
1899 James Warden, Walsgrave on Sowe
Dit PN An early religious sign referring to the annunciation, the greeting and proclamation of the Archangel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary.The Puritans objected strongly to such signs.
A greeting to the city as this was one of the first pubs encountered when approaching along the London Road.
CS1 Discussion of the name
CovHC In medaeval times, the first inn outside New Gate and on the London Road was the Salutation. It is said that the inn got its name because as people left the city they saluted the Tower of Our Lady in the beleif that it would protect them on their journey - the Tower of Our lady was in fact a tower within the city wall by London Road with a statue and painted chamber.
Cov HG P11 One of the most famous of the city wall towers was next to Whitefriars, the Lady Tower. Sir William Dugdale wrote of it thus ' This Chappell is in y't tower of the Cittye wall without New Gate, close by the roadway leading towards London. On the outside thereof was a picture of the Blessed Virgin richly painted, and within it an image and her altar.' Travellers passing prayed here, or saluted the image so their journey would be blessed. A nearby inn was called the Salutation because of this.
HOC P50 It appears that the friars lived poorly, most of their income derived from offerings made by pilgrims to their famed shrine of Our Lady of the
Tower. Dugdale states ' This Chapell is in the tower of the Cittye Wall without New Gate close by the roadway leading towards London. On the outside
thereof was a picture of the blessed Virgin, richly painted, and within an image and her altar, whereat most travellers which passed by did offer more or
lesse, out of confidence that their journey would be better blest '. The shrine was considered lucky for travellers and many visited it to protect
themselves on their journeys and pilgimmages. It was the practise of thos who passed the shrine daily to salute it, and this gave a nearby inn the name
' Salutation '.
1756 Alderman Hewitt 3 soldiers billeted Misford Street
1780 CSubs P118 The Coventry mercury of 1780 offered a reward for the apprehension of robbers who had accosted Richard Armstrong, landlord of the Salutation Inn.
c1800 COC P43 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map
& Salutation Inn Yard
1861 Poole P307 First recipients of ' Sir Thomas White's Pension Fund ' include Joseph Taylor, of the Salutation Inn, London Road.
13.5.1863 JA137 Transfer of license from Josepf Taylor to George Burnett.
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P16 SALUTATION , Much Park Street / 29 London Road Alehouse
Owner : Charles Dawson Ltd, Birmingham
later James Warden, Walsgrave
Licensee : William Frankton
7.8.1884 TOL to Charles James Vincent
31.7.1890 TOL to Emma Vincent
27.10.1892 TOL to Sidney Bertram Harris
5.1.1893 TOL to Andrew London
29.10.1895 TOL to Annie Elizabeth Hammerton
15.8.1896 TOL to Jonathon Fraser
19.12.1896 TOL to Edward Stephen Atkins
1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs
24.6.1899 P&M PR Leased by Phillips & Marriott for 21 years for £ 60 from James Warden, Walsgrave on Sowe. May purchase for £ 1600 during term of lease.
1906 OS Map
CS2 Photo. ' Bass '.
1926/27 P. James Mis-spelt as ' Salvation '.
1954 Source 43 The Salutation Inn, on the London Road - part of the great Holyhead Road and once a famous coaching road - and the entrance to the old part of Coventry formerly called ' Misford Street ' bears out its name of Salutation for an un-named writer of the present century in a small booklet entitled ' Some inns in the Midlands ' says of it: ' no doubt the name has a medaeval origin. referring to the Salutation to the Blessed Virgin: but the position of the house also indicates that it offers a salutation and a welcome to travellers entering the city from London'.
We might suggest another reason why this inn was so named by referring to ' The Story of Coventry ' by Mary Dormer Harris. She says there was to be seen in medaeval times ' the image of Our Lady in the Tower on the London Road hard by Whitefriars ' and pilgrims gathered at the spot. two monasteries were built within a short distance - the Whitefriars and the Carthusian.
21.12.1962 CS Demolished for making London Road section of Ring Road.
1780 CSubs P118 Richard Armstrong
1822/23 Pigot T. Pearson
1828/29 Pigot Geo. Edwards
1835 Pigot Daniel Claridge
1841 Pigot George Yardley
1845 Kelly Mrs M. Evans
1850 CS Joshua Clarke
c1855 ACTC 1 N, Charnock
WTC N. Charnock
1861 Census Joseph Taylor 52yo b Coventry m Frances, 54 & 3s, 1 servant
1863 JA137 Joseph Taylor
1863 JA137 George Burdett ( Burnett )
1868 Buchanan G. Burnett
23.11.1868 Lantern George Burnett
1871 Census George Burnett 45yo victualler & cabproprietor b Coventry m Sarah, 1874 C&B G. Burnett [ 48 & 6d, 1 boarder
1878 LJ Vol 1 P16 William Frankton ( Franklin )
1879 Stevens William Franklin
1881 C&B W. Franklin
1884 LJ Vol 1 P16 William Frankton ( Franklin )
1884 LJ Vol 1 P16 Charles James Vincent
1886 C&B J. Vincent
1890/91 R&G C. J. Vincent
1890 LJ Vol 1 P16 Charles James Vincent
1890 LJ Vol 1 P16 Emma Vincent
1892 LJ Vol 1 P16 Emma Vincent
1892 LJ Vol 1 P16 Sidney Bertram Harris
1893 LJ Vol 1 P16 Sidney Bertram Harris
1893 LJ Vol 1 P16 Andrew London
1893 Reporter A. Loudon
1894 R&G A. Loudon
1895 LJ Vol 1 P16 Andrew London
1895 LJ Vol 1 P16 Annie Elizabeth Hammerton
1896 LJ Vol 1 P16 Annie Elizabeth Hammerton
1896 LJ Vol 1 P16 Jonathan Fraser
1896 R&G Jonathan Frazier
1896 LJ Vol 1 P16 Edward Stephen Atkins
1898 LJ Vol 1 P16 Edward Stephen Atkins
27.6.1900 P&M PR Richard Reading
2.6.1902 P&M PR Charles Bass
1903 R&G David Gamble
16.5.1904 P&M PR L. Hughes Clarke
1905 R&G L. H. Clarke
15.2.1905 P&M PR Horace Henry Yandell
12.4.1906 P&M PR John Morley
1909 R&G J. Morley
1.6.1910 P&M PR John Morley new agreement
20.9.1910 P&M PR Eliza Morley
27.9.1911 P&M PR Robert Brown
1911/12 Spennell R. Brown
1912/13 Spennell R. Brown Ye Olde Salutation
1919 Spennell Robert Brown Ye Olde Salutation
1921/22 Spennell Robert Brown Ye Olde Salutation Inn
1926/27 P. James T. Robertson Salvation
1929 P. James J. C. Gaynor
1931/32 P. James J. C. Gaynor
1933/34 P. James J. C. Gaynor
1935/36 P. James W. J. Weir
1937/38 P. James W. J. Weir
1939/40 P. James W. J. Weir
1955/56 Barrett Frederick Matty
1957 Barrett Frederick Matty
1960 Barrett J. E. Abel
1961 Barrett J. E. Abel
1962 Barrett J. E. Abel
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P16 Charles Dawson Ltd, Birmingham
later LJ Vol 1 P16 James Warden, Walsgrave
1898 LJ Vol 1 P16 James Warden, Walsgrave
1899 P&M PR James Warden, Walsgrave on Sowe
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.