title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Saint George

photo

Gosford Street 1924

NAME SAINT GEORGE
ADDRESS GOSFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1563 1650 SAINT GEORGE
1650 1781 GEORGE
1828 1855 GEORGE AND DRAGON

St George is the patron saint of England. He is often coupled with a dragon

An inn, the Saint George in Gosford Bars, near the chapel of Saint George, is recorded in 1563. It is later mentioned in 1625, 1650 and 1668. It became the GEORGE AND DRAGON.

In c1907 Mary Dormer Harris writes ' On the south side of Gosford Gate, and running east beyond it stood the diminutive chapel of S. George on Dover Bridge; it survived until 1820. It should not be forgotten that there hung on the chapel's western end the bladebone of the Dun Cow slain by Guy, Earl of Warwick. After the chapel's demolition the bone served as an inn sign at Dunchurch,then it passed successively into the hands of two well-known antiquaries, Matthew Holbeche Bloxham and William George Fretton '. It is believed tht these Dun Cow bladebones were really whale bones. ' One of the guilds, that of S. George, which consisted particularly of journeyman tailors, was wont in 1425 to meet in the chapel here. Laurence Cook was the life-owner of the same in 1439, (at) what time the Nativity Guild gained license to hold land. Confiscated with other guild and charity lands, S. George's was repurchased by the Corporation by charter of 6 Edward VI. By that time it had fallen from its high estate as a chapel, and was let out in tenaments to poor folk '.

Known Licensees at the SAINT GEORGE are;
1625 W. Hopkins
1650 Jane Hopkins

Known Licensees at the GEORGE & DRAGON are;
1828 - 1829 Samuel Adkins
1829 - 1835 William Beaumont
1841 - 1845 Thomas Cole

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.