title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Royal Oak


photo
NAME ROYAL OAK
ADDRESS LONDON ROAD, WHITLEY

This name is second in popularity to the Red Lion. Following the defeat of the Battle of Worcester in 1651, Charles II, together with his aide, Colonel Carless, hid from noon till dusk in the Boscobel Oak near Shifnal, Shropshire, in order to escape from the Roundhead soldiers pursuing them. After the restoration it was declared that May 29th, Charles II's birthday, should be celebrated as Royal Oak Day, an act of thanksgiving. The popularity of the pub sign may be attributed to genuine rejoicing that the monarchy had been restored but it also comments on the appeal of exciting incidents. It may also refer to one of the many ships that bore this name.

1835 see BEERHOUSE, Whitley. The original pub, as marked on the map above, closed in 1932 and became offices.The new Royal Oak opened in the building marked as Plemont Villa on the map, which was previously a children's home. The Corporation sold this to Hunt Edmunds brewery for £ 2,500. It is an odd shaped building on the dual carriageway out of Coventry. It has a basic bar and a pleasant lounge.

Known Licensees are;
1861 - 1876 Benjamin Todd
1879 - 1880 Walter Butler
1886 - 1905 Tom Rose
1908 - 1909 William Killpack
1911 - 1940 John Marshall
1960 - 1962 A. F. Marshall

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.