title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Royal Oak


This name is second in popularity to the Red Lion. Following the defeat of the Battle of Worcester in 1651, Charles II, together with his aide, Colonel Carless, hid from noon till dusk in the Boscobel Oak near Shifnal, Shropshire, in order to escape from the Roundhead soldiers pursuing them. After the restoration it was declared that May 29th, Charles II's birthday, should be celebrated as Royal Oak Day, an act of thanksgiving. The popularity of the pub sign may be attributed to genuine rejoicing that the monarchy had been restored but it also comments on the appeal of exciting incidents. It may also refer to one of the many ships that bore this name.

Pinkett's Booth is now a placename rather than a building. At one time it was a well known stopping place for drovers. Pinket's Booth, built about 1630, was in reality a pub called the Royal Oak. This was Richard Pinkett's alehouse, which was supressed in 1635 for not selling a quart of ale for 1d, which must have been the assize at the time. The suppression was cancelled three years later 'on condition of him giving security for his good conduct'. This pub may also have been called the RAINBOW at some time.

1835 - 1841 Joseph Turner (Beerhouse)
1850 Charles Gilbert & tailor
1861 - 1863 William Dawes

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.