title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Royal George

photo
NAME ROYAL GEORGE
ADDRESS 39 and 40 GILBERT STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES VERNON STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
  1862 COACHMAKERS ARMS
1862 1866 LOYDON STORES
1866 1919 ROYAL ALBERT
1919 1932 ROYAL GEORGE
1932 1972 ROYAL ALBERT

A variant of Prince Albert, real name Frances Albert Augustus Emmanuel (1819 - 1861), second son of Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. He married his first cousin, Queen Victoria, in 1840 and became Prince Consort in 1857. The name was perhaps suggested by the launching of H.M.S. Royal Albert in 1854 - by Queen Victoria, naturally.

We have a record of the license of the Coachmakers being transfered from Thomas East to James Ball ( or Bull ) in 1860. By 1862 it appears to have become the LOYDON STORES

From 1919 to 1932 it adopted the name ROYAL GEORGE. It closed on 26th January 1972.

Known Licensees are;
To 1862 Thomas East
1862 - 1864 James Ball (Bull)
from 1864 Charles Randle
1866 - 1867 Miss Ellen Williams
1867 James Lenton
1867 - 1868 Patrick Kelly
1868 - 1876 George Addison Davis
1879 - 1888 John Pinches
1890 - 1900 Albert Pinches
1901 - 1919 James Aldridge
1921 - 1932 H. E. Taylor
1933 - 1940 William Phillip Parker
1940 William Ernest Roberts
1949 - 1962 Wilfred Charles Edwards
1964 Stanley Wilson

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.