title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Royal Exchange

photo

The Golden Cross on the corner of Bayley Lane and Hay Lane, the site of the earlier Royal Exchange

NAME ROYAL EXCHANGE
ADDRESS HAY LANE/BAYLEY LANE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1693 ROYAL EXCHANGE
1756 1770 DOG and DUCK
1770 1773 CROSS GUNS
1773 present GOLDEN CROSS
This is mentioned in 1693 when it ' forms the Hay Lane cornerhouse there with Bayley Lane'. This appears to be the site later occupied by the Dog and Duck and eventually the Golden Cross.
Known Licensees are;
1693 Isaac Leeson

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.