title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Rose Inn

photo

Once the through road to the "Great Park", one of Coventry's most ancient and appropriately named streets is Much Park Street, seen here in 1912. The (Red) Rose Inn is in the centre of the picture, the second building down from Whitefriars Gate on the right

NAME ROSE INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES ROSE TAVERN, RED ROSE INN
ADDRESS 35 MUCH PARK STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES MUCHFORD STREET

The rose is the most popular flower used in pub names as it is a national symbol.

This pub is mentioned as early as c1270 in Gregory family documents. In 1447 it is called the Red Rose, but it ia back to just the Rose in 1756 when four soldiers were billeted at the Rose, Muchford Street. The liensee from 1868 to 18798, Samuel Sidwell, is called a licensed victualler and elastic weaver by the 1871 census. Another source calls him a consulting engineer, coal and timber merchant, cabproprietor and a member of the City Volunteer Fire Brigade. People had to be versatile in those days !

The pub appears to have closed around 1910

Licensees
c1820 - 1835 Mrs. Sarah Brogden
1841 - 1851 Daniel Claridge & maltster
1861 John Howard
1868 B. Jackson
1868 - 1879 Samuel Sidwell licensed victualler & elastic weaver
1881 John Bonner
1886 - 1894 W. D. Hirons
1896 H. Arrowsmith
1903 A. Ingrams
1905 A. Spicer
1909 C. D. Driver
Owners
1603 Coventry Corporation
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.