title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Rose Inn

Coventry Evening Telegraph clipping from mid-1961. The pub would be gone only 3 years later

NAME ROSE INN
ADDRESS 172 LOCKHURST LANE, FOLESHILL

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 BEERHOUSE
1841 1997 ROSE INN
1997 2004 LOCKHURST TAVERN

The rose is the most popular flower used in pub names as it is a national symbol.

This pub has stood on Lockhurst Lane, Foleshill, since around 1841 when it first appeared in Pigot's Directory and the Census of that year. At this time it was a simple beerhouse so it is safe to assume that it opened soon after the passing of the Beerhouse Act of 1830. It was owned by Thomas Stringer and remained in the same cottage premises for over a century, becoming a Flowers owned pub along the way.

In 1964, the new Rose Inn opened at the rear of the old one, which was knocked down. The new version was a rather nondescript glass and concrete structure. George Demidowicz, in his Buildings of Coventry (2003) says that 'The city's only interesting post-war pub, until Browns, was the modernist 'The Rose' (architects Yorke, Harper & Harvey 1964) . Apparently in the Frank Lloyd Wright tradition, its plan is a stylized rose'.

Mr. Demidowicz is right to say 'apparently' as any affinity to a rose would only have been discernible from above, and then with difficulty, whilst the reference to Frank Lloyd Wright is presumably because the pub had a low elevation. I like Chris Arnott's comment in 1984 that 'when viewed from the air it looks like a rose. At ground level ....it looks like the control tower of a small airport'.

Although the original building lasted more than a century, the new Rose became distinctly tatty after 20 years. It underwent a name change to the Lockhurst Tavern in later years and was demolished c2004 after just 40 years, just a year or so after Mr. Demidowicz was writing, leaving an empty space on Lockhurst Lane.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1841 Thomas Stringer
1845 William Dalton & butcher
1863 Matthew Dalton & plumber

Known Licensees at the ROSE INN are;
1841 - 1845 Thomas Stringer
1850 William Sidwell
1861 Elizabeth Sidwell
1868 - 1874 William Gilbert
1876 - 1880 Mrs. Elizabeth Gilbert
1888 - 1903 Robert Dalton
1905 - 1924 William T. Cooper
1926 - 1940 F. H. Rider
to c1955 John Kerr (see clipping above)
c1955 - 1964 Horace William Talbot (see clipping above)
1984 Dave Radburn
c1990 - 1996 James Miekle

Owners
1931 - 1940 Flowers
1984 Whitbread
map
photo

The newer abandoned Rose prior to demolition

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.