title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Rose and Crown Inn

photo
NAME ROSE AND CROWN INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES BEERHOUSE
ADDRESS WALSGRAVE ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 18 CHURCH END, 2 CHURCH LANE, STOKE

This sign indicates loyalty to the monarch and to England and has done so since the early seventeenth century.

From 1868 to 1876 this was the BEERHOUSE, Stoke. In 1925 the license was surrendered in consideration of the removal of the license of the Oddfellows Arms in Bond Street to the new Rose and Crown, Stoke, which opened on 21st February 1925. The old pub was some distance from the present one opposite what was then St Chad's, and is now St Michaels Church, and is now a parade of shops. In 1930 the new pub opened.

In the early years of the twentieth century, the landlord was Walter Cramp, who ran the pub with a rod of iron and refused to let women inside. In those days it was a village local; now it has been swallowed up by suburbia. In 1984 the pub looked good from the outside with hanging baskets, window boxes and coloured glass panels, whilst the interior was rampant Victoriana throughout with flock wallpaper in the bars and striped in the snugs.

Coventry Evening Telegraph clipping from February 1961

Known Licensees are;
1879 Richard Kimberley
1880 Andrew Samuel fawson
1888 Charles Blockley
1892 - 1913 John Fellows junior
1919 - 1940 Walter H. Cramp
1955 - 1962 Harold L. Sturgess (see above)
1985 Albert East
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.