title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Rose and Crown

The Courtyard..Coventry.
NAME ROSE AND CROWN
ADDRESS HIGH STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1624 1992 ROSE AND CROWN
1992 closure COURTYARD

This sign indicates loyalty to the monarch and to England and has done so since the early seventeenth century. This pub is Grade II Listed being c1800 stucco, set back from the street in its yard and one of the few early inns surviving in central Coventry. The first mention I have found was in in 1624 when certain houses are said to stand near the Rose and Crown gateway. This gateway must have been quite substantial as in1853 there was a lease of a ware-room above it. At this date, the seventeenth century that is, the pub appears to have been known as the CROWN.

In 1692 Thomas King bought the Rose and Crown and then in the eighteenth century it was owned by a changing partnership of up to six people. The pub appears on Bradford's map of 1748/9 so it was a substantial building. After Coventry Races in 1755 ordinaries, set meals at a fixed price were sold here. In 1756 fourteen soldiers were billeted here, confirming it as one of the largest inns in Coventry. It is said that the accommodation at the Rose and Crown was used by carriers. Being such large premises, they were used for public entertainment. In 1785, 'a large commodious room accommodated the Amazing Pig of Knowledge which could count and tell either the time or 'any lady's or gentlemen's thoughts'. Now if only I had a pig like that! During the Great Fair (the Corpus Christi or Show Fair lasted eight days) of 1795, the Sadlers Wells Company came with a troupe of Italian acrobats and performed the 'Harlequin Skeleton' in the Assembly Rooms and at the Rose and Crown whilst the acrobats entertained in the yard.

in 1762 the Rose and Crown was the meeting place of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire (Freemasons)

For two years a boys school was held in a large room in the Rose and Crown. This was because St. Michael's parish school in Union Street had closed in 1853 and the new school was not opened until 1855.

In 1935 it was said to have 'spacious and comfortable lounge. Flowers and Sons ales, finest wines and spirits'. In 1961 Jimmy Taylor wrote at some length about the delights of the Rose and Crown, see below.

I can't help but feel that we have lost something in the past half century. In 1992 the pub became the COURTYARD.

Coventry Evening Telegraph clipping from 1961

Known Licensees are;
1845 Ann Onions
1841 - 1850 John Lee
1861 - 1874 Joseph Hayward (or Haywood)
1879 - 1881 James Day
1886 - 1891 J. Graynoth
1893 S. A. Graynoth
1894 - 1896 Joseph Cotton
1903 - 1905 Mrs. J. Sewell
1909 - 1913 George Sumner
1919 - 1934 W. H. Grainger
1935 - 1940 A. Sheffiled
1947 - 1959 Reg A. Sheffield
1959 - 1961 Kenneth Frank Greenwell
1961 Roy C. Baker
1962 Reg A. Suffolk (see also City Arms, Earlsdon and Craven Arms, High Street)
1960's Thady Joseph Flannelly (see also Old Clarence, Earlsdon)
Owners
1692 Thomas King
1748 E. King, younger, son of T. King
1748 C. Harbridge & J. Pickering
1765 C. Harbridge & J. Pickering & J. Asplin & J. Chambers & W. Dawkes & J. Masfen
1837 G. Bunney
1848 S. Bunney
1935 - 1961 Flowers
Courtyard Coventry



+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN The sign indicates loyalty to the monarch and to England, and has done so since the early seventeenth century.

Listed Building Grade II c1800 stucco, channelled, welsh slate roof behind cornice and low parapet, 2 storeys, sash windows. Set back in yard. One of few early inns surviving in central Coventry.

1624 Poole P267 He also gave another yearly sum of twenty shillings towards the maintenance of the poor children in the said hospital, to be paid out of the rents of certain houses on the north side of the High Street, near the Rose and Crown gateway

1670 News 88 Was the CROWN per John Ashby

1692 WB P12 Thomas King....bought the Rose & Crown in High Street, and in 1699 he bought the Turks Head in Little Park Street from William Gilbert. King died in 1702.

6.7.1703 CR 101/7/279 Cave King, widow of Thomas King, feoffes a piece of ground adjoining the Rose and Crown.

13.10.1709 CR 101/147/10 Will leaving a house in the High Street near the CROWN INN.

15&16.4.1725 CR 101/7/280 Lease and release of garrett over a messuage next door to the above

13&14.5.1725 CR 101/7/282&3 Thomas Neale conveys to Penelope King a house with the Rose & Crown on its east.

28&29.4.1748 CR 101/7/285&6 E. King, younger, son of T. King, sells the above to C. Harbridge and J. Pickering for £ 430

1748/49 Bradford's Map

13.8.1755 Poole P399 Races in Coventry Park. Ordinaries held at the Bull and Rose and Croown Inns, and at the Kings Head, and Mermaid

1756 Alderman Hewitt 14 soldiers billeted

26&27.9.1756 CR 101/7/287&8 C. Harbridge sells 1/4 share to J. Asplin and J. Chambers for £ 250

26&27.9.1756 CR 101/7/289&90 C. Harbridge sells another 1/4 share to W. Dawkes

26&27.9.1756 CR 101/7/293&4 C. Harbridge sells another 1/4 share to J. Masfen

11.1765 JA34 JCM Two closes to be sold ' by the candle ' at the Rose and Crown, High Street, on 2.12.1765

1766 JA34 Ref 14 The Countess of Normandy, alias Lady Wilbrihammon, alias Mollineux, alias Irving, Baroness Wilmington, the greatest Impostress of the present age......who lodges at the Roseand Crown, Coventry

1784 HOC P189 Election - Oldham, servant to a clergyman and acquaintance of two of the election candidates, was standing near the Rose and Crown

( now the Courtyard ) in the High Street when a mob of about thirty dragged him by his hair into the stables of the White Bear ( Craven Arms ) and beat him.

1785 HOC P200 The Rose and Crown was also the venue for another kind of event popular in the 18th century, the exhibition of the unusual. In 1785 a ' large commodious room ' accommodated the ' Amazing Pig of Knowlege ' which could count and tell either the time or ' any lady's or gentlemen's thoughts '

26.10.1789 JA34 JCM Richard Simons moves from the Rose and Crown to the Bull

1795 HOC P200 During the Great Fair ( Corpus Christi or Show Fair lasted eight

days ) of 1795 the Sadlers Wells Company came with a troupe of Italian acrobats and performed the 'Harlequin Skeleton ' in the Assembly Rooms at the Rose and Crown ( the Courtyard ) in the High Street, whilst the acrobats entertained in the yard.

19.12.1837 CR 101/7/142 R. Bunney leaves 4 shares in the above in his will

29.1.1848 CR 101/7/145 Let by S. B. Bunney to John Lee

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

7.3.1853 Poole P285 When the closing of the central school ( of St Michael's parish schools ) in Union Street had been determined on, three day schools, as a temperory provision, were simultaneously opened - one for boys in a large room in the Rose and Crown yard, High Street. The new scool opened in 1855.

22.9.1853 CR 101/7/352 Lease of ware-room above the Rose and Crown gateway from W. Forsyth, S. Blencoe and J. Bunney to T. Soden.

6.11.1867 CR 368/15/218 Edwin Hayward of the above attends Katherine Bayley's Charity Scool.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P13 ROSE AND CROWN, High Street Alehouse
Owner : Richard Madeley, Keresley
later Coventry Gas Fittings Co
later Flowers & Son, Stratford on Avon
Licensee : James Day
2.11.1882 TOL to Joseph Graynoth
17.4.1890 TOL to Sarah Ann Graynoth
26.10.1893 TOL to Joseph Cotton
15.4.1897 TOL to James Sewell
14.10.1878 fined 20/- & costs permitting gaming

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

COC P18 Accommodation used by carriers

1904 - 1906 CMcarH P63 By 1903, howvere, Johnson, Hurley and Martin left to concentrate on other locally related business interests, while Forman opted to continue the companu on his own account as the Foreman Motor Company. This split coincided with a move to ' Rose & Crown Yard ' off the High Street, taking over premises previously occupied by the Coventry Light & Engineering Company.

1935 GT Flowers Houses ISC P81 A Flowers house

P82 Spacious and comfotable lounge. Flowers and Sons ales, stouts, finest wines and spirits.

1961 Citypubs 29 It is owned by Flowers of Stratford on Avon and according to records is reputed to date back to 1726. The Rose and Crown was originally called the CROWN but during the Elizabethan period the name Rose was added. It has a beautiful Georgian front and quite recently has been repainted white, making it very distinctive. The inglenook bar is most charming and popular with patrons. The bar, which at one time used to be the stables for the horses when it was a coaching station, is now bedecked with flowers, while above this bar, a loft where the fodder was kept, is now a delightful lounge, which is onlyt used at weekends. It was only in 1932 that the stabling and loft were converted to their present use. It is not often that I venture into the attic of a pub, but I found this most fascinating with its strong oak beams which have worn well through the passing of time. From a door at the top you can go outside the building where you get a delightful view of the new Coventry with the Council House in the foreground and alongside the new Cathedral rising majestic in all its splendour and glory. The cellars are also unusual in their construction. There are huge sandstone blocks roughly 3ft by about 18in built in the foundations and seceral arches of brick running all around. Here and there are holders where candles used to be put before the advent of gas or electricity. Apart from a new wall that had to be built inside, the Rose and Crown only suffered superficial damage in the last war.

1979 WRAG2

1982 WRAG3 Pleasant pub with very mixed clientele. Garden consists of seats in a cobbled courtyard recently relaid. Pub is off main street surrounded by high office blocks. Grade II listed and built around 1700

1985 CCRAG Parts of this old coaching inn are 300 years old and it still retains its early courtyard now totally surrounded by tall office blocks and inaccessible by car.

1992 1000 Years Became the COURTYARD

LICENSEES

1789 JA34 JCM Richard Simons

WTC P. Ayton 3d, N27321, Batty 26426, NBT

1835 Pigot Ann Onions

1841 Pigot John Lee

1841 Census John Lee 45 yo b Wks m Ann, 45

1845 Kelly J. Lee Old Rose and Crown

1850 CS John Lee

1861 Census Joseph Haywood 35 yo innkeeper b Foleshill m Sarah, 30 & 2s, 1d,

1868 Buchanan J. Haywood [ 4 lodgers

23.11.1868 Lantern Joseph Haywood

1871 Census Joseph Haywood 41 yo hotelkeeper b Foleshill m Sarah, 40 & 3s, 1874 C&B J. Haywood [ 3d, 1 servant, 13 boarders
1878 LJ Vol 1 P13 James Day
1879 Stevens James Day

WTC James Day

1881 C&B James Day
1882 LJ Vol 1 P13 James Day
1882 LJ Vol 1 P13 Joseph Graynoth
1886 C&B J. Graynoth

1890/91 C&B J. Graynoth
1890 LJ Vol 1 P13 Joseph Graynoth
1890 LJ Vol 1 P13 Sarah Ann Graynoth
1893 Reporter S. A. Graynoth
1893 LJ Vol 1 P13 Sarah Ann Graynoth
1893 LJ Vol 1 P13 Joseph Cotton
1894 R&G Joseph Cotton

1896 R&G Joseph Cotton
1897 LJ Vol 1 P13 James Sewell
1898 LJ Vol 1 P13 James Sewell
1903 R&G Mrs J. Sewell

1905 R&G Mrs J. Sewell

1909 R&G George Sumner

1911/12 Spennell George Sumner

1912/13 Spennell George Sumner

1919 Spennell W. H. Grainger

1921/22 Spennell W. H. Grainger

1924 P. James W. H. Grainger

1926/27 P. James W. H. Grainger

1929 P. James W. H. Grainger

1931/32 P. James W. H. Grainger

1933/34 P. James W. H. Grainger

1935/36 P. James A. Sheffield

1937/38 P. James A. Sheffield

1939/40 P. James A. Sheffield

1950's News 2- 78 Reg & Maureen Suffolk

1955/56 Barrett Not listed

1957 Barrett Not listed

1959 Citypubs 29 Kenneth Frank Greenwell

1961 Citypubs 29 Kenneth Frank Greenwell

1961 Barrett Roy C. Baker

1962 Barrett R. A. Suffolk

1966 Barrett

OWNERS

1692 WB P12 Thomas King

28&29.4.1748 CR 101/7/285&6 E. King, younger, son of T. King

28&29.4.1748 CR 101/7/285&6 C. Harbridge & J. Pickering

26&27.9.1765 CR 101/7/287&8 C. Harbridge & J. Pickering & J. Asplin & J. Chambers

26&27.9.1765 CR 101/7/287&8 C. Harbridge & J. Pickering & J. Asplin & J. Chambers

& W. Dawkes

26&27.9.1765 CR 101/7/287&8 C. Harbridge & J. Pickering & J. Asplin & J. Chambers

& W. Dawkes & J. Masfen

19.12.1837 CR 101/7/142 G. Bunney

29.1.1848 CR 101/7/145 S. Bunney
1878 LJ Vol 1 P13 Richard Madeley, Keresley
later LJ Vol 1 P13 Coventry Gas Fittings Co
later LJ Vol 1 P13 Flowers & Son, Stratford on Avon
1898 LJ Vol 1 P13 Flowers & Son, Stratford on Avon
1935 GT Flowers Ales ISC Flowers

1961 Citypubs 29 Flowers

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.