title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Rose and Crown

photo

The current modern building built in 1958 is set back further from the road than the 19th century original.

NAME ROSE AND CROWN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES CROWN, Bell Green
ADDRESS 163 HALL GREEN ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES BELL GREEN, FOLESHILL

Coventry Evening Telegraph clipping from February 1961

photo

This photo, taken in about 1906 by the Express Photo Co, is reproduced from "The Coventry we have lost" by Albert Smith and David Fry. It shows the original Rose & Crown at the junction of Bell Green Road and Hall Green Road, apparently taking delivery of ale. First mentioned in 1832 as the setting for an inquest into the death of a chap called Brown. The building, was replaced in 1958 with the current modern building set back further from the road (see photo above).

This sign indicates loyalty to the monarch and to England and has done so since the early seventeenth century. The pub was used for auctions in 1838. In 1874 and 1876 this is listed as the CROWN. In 1896 this pub was purchased by Phillips and Marriott along with the Royal Oak, Stoney Stanton Road from William and Emma Brain for £ 3000. In 1899 they valued the Rose and Crown at £1750, including a cottage.

Rebuilt in 1958, by 1979 it had become a large modern pub in the typical M&B estate pub mould.

Licensees
1841 - 1845 Joseph Marston
1850 - 1851 Richard Stephens
1861 Thomas Deeming
1871 - 1880 Edward Chaplin
1888 - 1892 William Henry Salmons
1895 - 1908 Mark Cotton
1908 Joseph Clarke
1909 - 1910 Elizabeth Clarke
1912 - 1918 John Valentine Clarke
1921 Alfred F. Thrasher
1922 William Phillip Parker
1924 Mrs. Laura Clarke
1929 - 1940 O. J. Docker
1960 and onwards William McCleary (see above and also Golden Eagle, Foleshill 1952 - 1960)
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.