title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Rose and Crown

photo

Burges from Bishop Street 1932

NAME ROSE AND CROWN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES OLD ROSE AND CROWN. Previously ROSE. Later CRYSTAL PALACE
ADDRESS 3 BURGES
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES ST JOHNS BRIDGE, CROSS CHEAPING, BISHOP STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1772 OLD ROSE AND CROWN
1822 1868 ROSE & CROWN, ROSE
1868 1929 CRYSTAL PALACE INN

This sign indicates loyalty to the monarch and to England and has done so since the early seventeenth century.

In 1772 the Old Rose and Crown in Bishop Street is to let. Nat Alcock in Coventry Streets states that the ROSE was later the OLD ROSE AND CROWN and then In 1868 it became the CRYSTAL PALACE INN.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 T. Bant
1828 - 1829 William Clarke
1835 - 1841 Martha Clarke
1845 J. Ward
1850 - 1851 Mary Rogers
1861 Charles Ivins
1868 - 1874 Joseph Cattell
1879 - 1881 James Ellis Patterson
1886 J. Sudden
1890 - 1891 G. Kenning
1893 J. Edwards
1894 H. Liddington
1896 William Cotton
1903 - 1905 J. H. E. Brown
1909 - 1913 Mrs. Elizabeth Brown
1919 - 1929 Walter Jones
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.