title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Robin Hood

photo

Cox Street 1910

NAME ROBIN HOOD
ALTERNATIVE NAMES Previously
ADDRESS 18 COX STREET

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1822 1868 KINGS ARMS
1868 1928 ROBIN HOOD

Robin Hood was a legendary outlaw in medieval England. His name is said to have spread in the nineteenth century as the Ancient Order of Foresters (founded in 1834) which opened new courts or lodges. Robin himself lived in Sherwood Forest with his merrie men and Maid Marian and acted like an unofficial tax collector, robbing the rich to give to the poor.

To 1850 this was the KINGS ARMS, Cox Street. In 1889 it was purchased by Phillips and Marriott for £543 3s 0d and in 1899 they valued it at £1250.

In 1928 the pub closed in consideration of the removal of the license of the Empire Vaults, Smithford Street, to the Maudslay Hotel. The actual date of closure was 13th December 1928.

Known Licensees at the KINGS ARMS are;
1822 - 1823 W. Grove
1828 - 1829 John Pickering
1850 - 1851 Thomas Cooper
to 1862 Charles Green
from 1862 Thomas Poultney

Known Licensees at the ROBIN HOOD are;
1868 J. Smith
1868 George Harris & Thomas Pool
1871 Emily Haycock
1874 - 1886 Richard Hands
1890 - 1891 Eliza Smith
1893 J. Athersuch
1894 - 1896 Mrs. E. Neale
1897 - 1909 Joseph Morton
1911 - 1913 Joseph Smith
1914 - 1929 Thomas Bates

Owners
from 1889 Phillips and Marriott



+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN Legendary outlaw of medaeval England. The name is said to have spread in the nineteenth century, as the ancient Order of Foresters

( founded in 1834 ) opened new courts, or lodges. Robin himself, of course, lived in Sherwood Forest with his merrie men and Maid Marian, and acted like an unofficial taxman, robbing the rich to help the poor.

to 1850 See KINGS ARMS, Cox Street

19.12.1862 JA141 CS Application adjourned for the transfer of the license of the Robin Hood from Charles Green to Thomas Poultney.

17.6.1864 JA141 CH&O Transfer of license from James Lindon to George Harris

10.11.1866 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Joseph Lindon to William Harris

13.6.1867 JA141 CS Transfer of license from William Harris to Jonathan Smith ( Mill Lane ).

26.9.1868 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Jonathan Smith to Thomas Poole

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P21 ROBIN HOOD, Cox Street Alehouse
Owner : Richard Hands
later M. Wratislav, Rugby
later Phillips & Marriott Ltd
Licensee : Richard Hands
16.3.1882 TOL to Thomas Atkins
1.6.1882 TOL to Helen Matthews
18.1.1883 TOL to George Chapman
24.4.1884 TOL to Edward Purcell
14.1.1886 TOL to William Harper
11.3.1886 TOL to Jane Tipping
21.4.1887 TOL to Herbert Harry Archer
28.6.1888 TOL to Eliza Smith
17.4.1890 TOL to John Athersuch
26.7.1894 TOL to Emma neale
21.6.1895 TOL to Thomas Smith
15.9.1897 TOL to Joseph Morton
19.12.1873 fined 20/- & costs
11.12.1876 fined 40/- & costs Sunday trading

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

8.4.1889 P&M PR Purchased by Phillips & Marriott for £ 543. 3s. od

1896 JA48 Purchased by Phillips & Marriott for £ 500 from William Ferdinand Wratislaw of Rugby.

30.9.1899 P&M PR Value £ 1250

1907 GH P9 Photo

1928 Police Empire Vaults, Smithford Street, license removed to Maudsley Hotel. Robin Hood, Cox Street, closed in consideration of removal of Empire Vaults.

18.12.1928 Closed

LICENSEES

1864 JA141 CH&O James Lindon

1864 JA141 CH&O George Harris
1866 JA141 CS Joseph Lindon

1866 JA141 CS William Harris
1867 JA141 CS William Harris

1867 JA141 CS Jonathan Smith

1868 Buchanan J. Smith
1868 JA141 CS Jonathan Smith
1868 JA141 CS Thomas Poole

23.11.1868 Lantern { George Harris

{ Thomas Pool

1871 Census Emily Haycock 34 yo b Coventry widow & 2d, 1 father Mill Lane

1874 C&B R. Hands
1878 LJ Vol 1 P21 Richard Hands
1879 Stevens Richard Hands
1882 LJ Vol 1 P21 Richard Hands
1882 LJ Vol 1 P21 Thomas Atkins
1882 LJ Vol 1 P21 Helen Matthews
1883 LJ Vol 1 P21 Helen Matthews
1883 LJ Vol 1 P21 George Chapman
1884 LJ Vol 1 P21 George Chapman
1884 LJ Vol 1 P21 Edward Purcell
1886 LJ Vol 1 P21 Edward Purcell
1886 LJ Vol 1 P21 William Harper
1886 LJ Vol 1 P21 Jane Tipping
1886 C&B R. Hands This seems along time out
1887 LJ Vol 1 P21 Jane Tipping
1887 LJ Vol 1 P21 Herbert Harry Archer
1888 LJ Vol 1 P21 Herbert Harry Archer
1888 LJ Vol 1 P21 Eliza Smith
1890/91 R&G Eliza Smith
1890 LJ Vol 1 P21 Eliza Smith
1890 LJ Vol 1 P21 John Athersuch
1893 Reporter J. Athersuch
1894 LJ Vol 1 P21 John Athersuch
1894 LJ Vol 1 P21 Emma Neale
1894 R&G Mrs E. Neale
1895 LJ Vol 1 P21 Emma Neale
1895 LJ Vol 1 P21 Thomas Smith
1896 R&G Mrs E. Neale
1897 LJ Vol 1 P21 Thomas Smith
1897 LJ Vol 1 P21 Joseph Morton
29.3.1897 P&M PR Joseph Morton
1898 LJ Vol 1 P21 Joseph Morton
1903 R&G J. Morton

1905 R&G J. Morton

1909 R&G J. Morton

11.9.1911 P&M PR Joseph Smith

1911/12 Spennell Joseph Smith

1912/13 Spennell Joseph Smith

28.1.1914 P&M PR Thomas Bates

1919 Spennell Thomas Bates

1921/22 Spennell Thomas Bates

1924 P. James Thomas Bates

1926/27 P. James Thomas Bates

1929 P. James Thomas Bates

1931/32 P. James Licensee not named

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P21 Richard Hands
later LJ Vol 1 P21 M. Wratislav, Rugby
1889 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott
later LJ Vol 1 P21 Phillips & Marriott Ltd
1898 LJ Vol 1 P21 Phillips & Marriott Ltd

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.