title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Ring of Bells

photo

Ring of Bells

NAME RING OF BELLS
ALTERNATIVE NAMES RING O' BELLS
ADDRESS 51 YARDLEY STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES KING WILLIAM STREET

This was often a name given to pubs by the local bell-ringers.

In May 1851 an auction was held at the Ring of Bells, however, on 27th August 1852 a new license was granted to Matthew Mann for the Ring of Bells. So we cannot be sure when the pub opened, but it must have been around these dates.

In 1921/22 it advertised 'Prime home-brewed ales a speciality'. It was at about that date that brewing on the premises ceased. In 1926, 1927 and 1929 it advertised 'prime ales and stouts, choice wines and spirits'.

On 25th. October 1945 the landlady, Mrs. Amy Davis, was found murdered. No-one was ever convicted of her murder. In 1961 Jimmy Taylor wrote, 'In Yardley Street before the war there were three public houses. Now the Ring O' Bells is the only one remaining, the others having been bombed and on the site the Corporation have built a 10 storey block of flats'.

The pub was closed and demolished on 10th August 1970.

Known Licensees are;
1852 Matthew Mann
1861 Joseph Cashmere
1868 T. Swigger
1868 - 1896 James Bamford
1903 - 1905 Mrs. Susannah Bamford
1909 - 1919 Herbert Duggins
1921 - 1927 Mrs. Florence Duggins
1929 Walter Hewitt
1931 - 1940 C. J. Davis
to 1945 Amy Davis
from 1961 Peter Connelly (see above)
Owners;
1961 Ansells
Brewers;
to 1898 James Bamford
1898 - 1902 Mrs. Susannah Bamford
1902 - 1914 Herbert Duggins
1914 - 1921 Mrs. Florence Duggins
map
+ -
Click here to see Research

DICT PN Often a name for a pub use by the local bell - ringers

5.1851 JA Auction at the Ring of Bells, Yardley Street

1851 Source 49 Board of Health map
Rimg of Bells, Nelson Street

27.8.1852 JA16 CS New license granted to Matthew Mann for the Rong of Bells, Yardley Street.

19.12.1862 JA141 CS Transfer of license from John Cashmore to Samuel Everitt

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P3 RING O' BELLS, Yardley Street Alehouse
Owner : Mary Campbell, Trinity Terrace, Coventry
later William Campbell, Tocil House, Stoneleigh
Licensee : James Bamford

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

to 1921 Friedrich Home Brewery

1921/22 Spennell Fine home brewed ales a speciality

1926/27 } P. James Prime ales and stouts, choice wines and spirits

1929 }

DYKC P3 Q13 Famous unsolved mirder during WWII

25.10.1945 COC P47 Landlady, Mrs Amy Davies, found murdered. She ran the pub for some years since her husband died.

2.6.1961 Citypubs 45 ......well known in the city as the result of the tragedy on October 23, 1945, when Mrs Amy Davies, who was tenant then, being alone at night on the premises, was brutally murdered. Mrs Davies was sister of the late Alderman Fred Lee, a former mayor of the city.

The Ring of Bells is owned by Ansells brewery.

In Yardley Street before the war there were three public houses, now the Ring of Bells is the only one remaining, the others being bombed, and, on the site, the Corporation have built a block of 10 storey flats.

1970 COC P47 Demolished

10.8.1970 JA CET Closed and demolished

LICENSEES

1851 Census Matthew Mann, 51, gentleman, m Mary. 52 & 1 servant

1852 JA16 CS Matthew Mann

1861 Census Joseph Cashmere 64 yo b Balsall m Mary, 45 & 1s, 1 lodger,

1862 JA141 CS John Cashmore [ 1 servant

1862 JA141 CS Samuel Everitt

1868 Buchanan T. Swigger

23.11.1868 Lantern James Bamford

1871 Census James Bamford 79 yo iron fitter b Raingemore, Sts

1874 C&B J. Bamford [ m Mary Elizabeth & 3s, 4d, 1 sister
1878 LJ Vol1 P3 James Bamford
1879 Stevens James Bamford
1881 C&B J. Bamford
1886 C&B J. Bamford
1890/91 R&G J. Bamford
1894 R&G J. Bamford
1896 R&G J. Bamford
1898 LJ Vol1 P3 James Bamford
1903 R&G Mrs S. M. Bamford
1905 R&G Mrs S. M. Bamford
1909 R&G H. Duggan
1911/12 Spennell Herbert Duggins
1912/13 Spennell Herbert Duggins
1919 Spennell Herbert Duggins
1921/22 Spennell Mrs Florence Duggins proprietor
1924 P. James Licensee not named
1926/27 P. James Mrs F. Duggins proprietress
1929 P. James Walter Hewitt proprietor
1931/32 P. James C. J. Davis
1933/34 P. James C. J. Davis
1935/36 P. James C. J. Davis
1937/38 P. James C. J. Davis
1939/40 P. James C. J. Davis
1945 Citypubs 45 Amy Davies murdered
1961 Citypubs 45 Peter Connelly

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P3 Mary Campbell, Trinity Terrace, Coventry
later William Campbell, Tocil House, Stoneleigh
1961 Citypubs 45 Ansells

BREWERS

1898 Friedrich James Bamford

1898 Friedrich Mrs Susannah Bamford

1902 Friedrich Mrs Susannah Bamford

1902 Friedrich Hubert Duggins

1914 Friedrich Hubert Duggins

1914 WB P17 Herbert Duggins

1914 Friedrich Mrs Florence Duggins

1921 Friedrich Mrs Florence Duggins

1921 WB P17 Mrs Florence Duggins

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.