Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
The Ring of Bells
RING OF BELLS
48 JORDAN WELL
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY
This is often the name used for a pub where the local bell-ringers meet.
The pub is first known from 1800 when it was used for auctions, but within a couple of years became the COCK although there is mention that soldiers were billeted here as early as 1756, and that a Lease and Release document concerning Coventry Societies dated 8/9 June 1808 states that...'The Society which met at the RING OF BELLS (Jordan Well) has been dissolved...'.
Known Licensees at the COCK are;
1828 - 1829 Joseph Glaze
1841 William Johnson
1845 - 1851 George Yardley
1861 Mary Pears
1861 F. G. Johnson
Known Licensees at the VAMPIRE are;
1868 C. Wakefield
1868 David Smith (see also at the Warwick Arms and Spirit Vaults, Little Park Street in 1863)
1869 Amos Statham
1870 James Robert Lucas