title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Railway Hotel

photo

Possibly the earliest ever view of The Railway Refreshment Rooms on Warwick Road from around 1860, showing the goods yard with the Bullfields beyond, and the City's spires in the distance. Photo courtesy of Rob Orland

NAME RAILWAY HOTEL
ADDRESS 103 WARWICK ROAD

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1871 c1966 RAILWAY HOTEL, RAILWAY REFRESHMENT ROOMS, MIDLAND REFRESHMENT ROOMS
c1966 2014 ROCKET
The coming of the railways in the nineteenth century made a huge impact on life in Britain and this was reflected in pub names. It was built as the RAILWAY STATION REFRESHMENT ROOMS, later going under any number of combinations of these words and others. In 1879 it was the MIDLAND REFRESHMENT ROOMS, the word Midland coming from the Midland Railway Company. Then from 1886 to 1909 it was the RAILWAY HOTEL AND REFRESHMENT ROOMS.

In c1966 this was renamed the ROCKET, which at least is a little shorter. This surely followed the 1901-03 extension to Coventry station which included its own 'Refreshment Room' - see below.
photo

View of Coventry stations' Refreshment Room and the Parcels Office. Built as part of the 1901-3 extension, the refreshment room which was to the right of the entrance canopy was accessed only from the up platform. The parcels office was part of an earlier construction phase as can be seen by the very different style of front facade. The station sign is thought to be LMS in origin whilst the ex-LNWR Refreshment Room sign has not been painted for some unknown reason despite still being in use whilst all other signs are painted. 10th April 1953. Photo and info courtesy of Warwickshire Railways.com

Known Licensees are;
1871 - 1874 Berkeley William Hicks, publican and railway refreshment rooms keeper
1881 Mrs. Hicks
1886 - 1891 C. Sumner
1893 - 1896 T. Sumner
1903 - 1909 A. W. Edge
1911 - 1913 A. Judge
1919 - 1934 George Samuel Johnson
1937 - 1940 Mrs. G. S. Johnson 

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.