title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Railway Hotel

photo

The railway lines at Lockhurst Lane. The Railway Hotel is the tall building in the background

NAME RAILWAY HOTEL
ADDRESS LOCKHURST LANE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1843 OLD BROOK TAVERN
1843 1850 HOLBROOKS TAVERN
1850 1969 RAILWAY HOTEL / TAVERN / INN

The coming of the railways in the nineteenth century made a huge impact on life in Britain and this was reflected in pub names.

In 1843 this is recorded as the OLD BROOK TAVERN. It is a misinterpretation of HOLBROOKS TAVERN. In 1847 the correct title is used when the premises is to let. In 1850 it became the RAILWAY HOTEL when the Coventry to Nuneston railway line opened

Originally Lockhurst Lane crossed the railway by means of a level-crossing. The present bridge was opened in 1931. In 1961 the Railway Hotel was owned by Marstons and was said to be not more than 75 years old, which would give an opening date of c1886. Given the dates of the licensees, this would mean that there was an earlier Railway Hotel on the site. The bar was reputed to be the largest in the Midlands, being 54 feet long by 20 feet wide. It sold 'all kinds of refreshments and there were first class concerts for which artists were booked from long distances'. Also 'the smoke room, the billiards room, the fine first floor club room with its separate entrance and the recreation paddock at the back gives this house a tone of elegance'. It is now the Indian and Commonwealth Club. 

photo

Known Licensees at the HOLBROOKS TAVERN are;
1843 George Yardley (Old Brook Tavern)(see also at the Salutation Inn, 1841)
1847 Thomas Stringer (Holbrooks Tavern) See also at BEERHOUSE, Lockhurst Lane in 1841 and at the ROSE INN from 1841 to 1845

Known Licensees at the RAILWAY HOTEL are;
1861 - 1863 Henry Elton
1863 William Marston
1863 Thomas Wright
1866 Charles Judd
1868 Thomas Knibb
1874 Samuel Lombard
1874 - 1892 Henry Chillingsworth
1903 - 1913 William Lole
1919 - 1922 Ellen Wilday
1924 - 1932 F. Parker
1933 - 1936 W. E. Roberts
1937 - 1940 W. F. Ryder
1957 James Satterthwiate
1959 John Heath (see above)
1960 - 1962 W. J. F. Bloxham

Owners;
1961 Marstons, Thompson and Evershed

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.