New Buildings with the Alhambra on the right and the back door of the Silver Sword aka the 'Dirty Dagger' to the left
|ADDRESS||58 NEW BUILDINGS|
This pub was named from its proximity to Coventry priory. The 1851 Board of Health Map shows this pub opposite the Cross Keys. In 1887 it was said to be 'in the new fashionable quarter'. In 1899 it was leased by Phillips and Marriott from J. Gulson of Stoke who stated that, 'They must purchase more ale than they brew', so at that time it was a home brew house. In 1905 it was purchased by Phillips and Marriott.
Then in 1918 the license of the Hospital Inn, Stoney Stanton Road, was surrendered in consideration of the removal of the license of the Priory Tavern to a house in a new district. This new house was yet to open. In 1919 it turned out that the new house was the Barras House.
The Priory Tavern closed on 10th February 1919 and the Barras opened on the same day.
|Known Licensees are;
1861 John Warwick
1868 J. Preedy
1868 - 1879 Thomas Taylor, publican & stonemason
1881 - 1886 A. Hewson
1890 - 1891 W. H. Higgitt
1894 - 1900 John Joseph Pinches
1902 - 1919 William Sagar
to 1905 J. Gulson, Stoke
from 1905 Phillips & Marriott
Name From proximity to Coventry priory
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map
Stood opposite Cross Keys on New Buildings
26.9.1868 JA141 CS Transfer of license from John Preedy to Thomas Taylor
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 PRIORY TAVERN, New Buildings Alehouse
Owner : John Plant, 19 Church Road, Richmond, London
later John Gulson Esq., Priory Row, Coventry
Licensee : Thomas Taylor
19.3.1880 TOL to Alfred Hewson
5.12.1889 TOL to William Henry Higgitt
8.1.1891 TOL to Thomas Purcell
29.10.1891 TOL to James Joseph Pinches
1887 COC P52 Cov Times Inn signs
c1890 Source 43 Mentioned in list of pubs ' Old Priory '
29.9.1899 P&M PR Leased annually by Phillips & Marriott from J. Gulson, Stoke
' They must purchase more ale than they brew.'
29.9.1905 P&M PR Purchased by Phillips & Marriott
1918 Police License of Hospital Inn, Stoney Stanton Road, surrendered in consideration of removal of license of Priory Tavern to a house in a new district. This new house has yet to open..
9.2.1919 P&M PR License surrendered for the Barras House
10.2.1919 Police Closed 10.2.1919. License transferred to the Barras House Hotel, Barras Green, which opened the same day.
WB P20 ' A home brew house '
1861 Census John Warwick 32 yo b Coventry m Ann, 28 & 1s, 1 lodger
1868 Buchanan J. Preedy
1868 JA141 CS John Preedy
1868 JA141 CS Thomas Taylor
23.11.1868 Lantern Thomas Taylor
1871 Census Thomas Taylor 60 yo publican & stonemason b Stoneleigh
1874 C&B T. Taylor [ m Mary Ann, 49 & 1d, 2s, 1 servant
1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 Thomas Taylor
1879 Stevens Thomas Taylor
1880 LJ Vol 1 P45 Thomas Taylor
1880 LJ Vol 1 P45 Alfred Hewson
1881 C&B A. Hewson
1886 C&B A. Hewson
1889 LJ Vol 1 P45 Alfred Hewson
1889 LJ Vol 1 P45 William Henry Higgitt
1890/91 R&G W. H. Higgitt
1891 LJ Vol 1 P45 William Henry Higgitt
1891 LJ Vol 1 P45 Thomas Purcell
1891 LJ Vol 1 P45 James Joseph Pinches
1894 R&G J. J. Pinches
1898 LJ Vol 1 P45 James Joseph Pinches
14.9.1900 P&M PR John Joseph Pinches
15.5.1902 P&M PR William Sagar
1903 R&G W. Sagar
19.5.1904 P&M PR William Sagar
1905 R&G W. Sagar
1909 R&G W. Sagar
1911/12 Spennell William Sagar
1912/13 Spennell William Sagar
1919 Spennell William Sagar
1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 John Plant, 19 Church Road, Richmond, London
later LJ Vol 1 P45 John Gulson Esq., Priory Row, Coventry
1898 LJ Vol 1 P45 John Gulson Esq., Priory Row, Coventry
1899 P&M PR J. Gulson, Stoke
1905 P&M PR J. Gulson, Stoke
1905 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott
1919 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.