title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Plough Hotel

photo

Short Street being cleared for the Ring Road in 1968/1969 - Whitefriars Monastry to the left. Gulson Road at middle, The Plough Inn and London Road to the right.

NAME PLOUGH HOTEL
ADDRESS 27 LONDON ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 14 LONDON ROAD, TOP OF MUCH PARK STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1748 1825 GREEN MAN
1850 2010 PLOUGH HOTEL, PLOUGH INN

This is one of the commonest pub names in Britain, having been in use since at least the sixteenth century. Apart from the farm implement signs often show the group of seven stars in the Ursa Major constellation called 'the plough'.

Before 1850 see the GREEN MAN.

In 1853 the pub was owned by Mary Wickes, who leaves it in her will to her son, Thomas Wickes. The tennant is Robert Bates. In 1868 Thomas Wickes leaves it to his wife. This pub stood in a row of cottages alongside another pub called the Dog and Gun. They stood just outside the city walls.

The present pub was built between the wars. In 1983 it was described as 'a large modern road house with basic bar and plush lounge with real settees'. In 2010 it closed and became a Chinese restaurant.

Known Licensees at the PLOUGH are;
1850 George Harris
1851 Mary Ann Harris
1853 - 1861 Robert Bates
1868 Golsby & Charles Cross
1868 - 1881 Charles Cross
1890 - 1891 Sarah Cross
1893 - 1896 William J. Cross
1903 - 1919 William Parker
1921 - 1924 J. W. Harvey
1926 - 1927 A. V. Harrison
1929 T. H. Sylvester
1933 - 1934 P. W. Burley
1935 - 1936 H. Johnson
1937 - 1938 F. H. Cattell
1939 - 1940 G. Ansell
1957 S. Rogers
1983 Stan Melling
photo

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN This remains one of the commonest pub names in Britain, having been in regular use since at least the sixteenth century. Apart from the farm implement itself, signs often show the groupof seven stars in the Ursa Major constellatiuon which have the shapeof a primitive plough.

8.8.1851 JA141 CS Transfer of license of Plough, Much Park Street, from George Harris to Robert Bates.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

15.8.1853 CR 101/2/96 Owned by Mary Wickes, who leaves it in her will to her son Thomas Wickes. Tenant Robert Bates.

10.12.1868 CR 101/2/98 Thomas Wickes leaves the Plough to his wife. Tenants Golbsby and Cross.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P9 Owner : Thomas Wicks, London Road, Coventry
later Alfred James Wickes, 88 Kingston Road, Birmingham and George James Wickes, 8 Sidney Street, Cambridge, executors of Sarah Wickes
later Walter Thomas Humphries, 13 Upper Cox Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham
later James Cross
Licensee : Charles Cross
30.1.1887 TOL to Sarah Cross
25.6.1891 TOL to William James Cross
29.7.1897 TOL to William Parker

1887 COC P55 Cov Times Inn signs

Cross Street - confused with landlords name.

1906 OS MAP

1927 JA Rebuilt

1977 WRAG1

1979 WRAG2 Large pub with pool tables everywhere

1982 WRAG3 Basic gamey public, smarter lounge popular with young

1983 CCRAG Large modern roadhouse with basic bar and plush lounge with real settees.

1983 Pubscrawl 47 There's been a Plough Inn on this site for hundreds of years. Not the same building of course. The original pub stood in a row of cottages alongside another hostelry known as the Dog and Gun..

Stan has an old map, dated 1600, that shows them standing just outside the city gate, surrounded by open fields. Hence the agricultural name that seems so incongruous today in the tarmac and concrete wilderness close to Coventry's Ring Road.

The present pub was built between the wars. It apparently contained a smoke-room and concert-room before the advent of the L-shaped lounge and disco.

22.11.2010 Source 26 Closed and became a Chinese restaurant

LICENSEES

1850 CS George Harris

1851 Census Mary Ann Harris49 yo b Rallet, HRT & 1 neice ( Much Park Street )

1851 JA141 CS George Harris
1851 JA141 CS Robert Bates

15.8.1853 CR 101/2/96 Robert Bates

1861 Census Robert Bates 62 yo b Cambridge m Cicilly A., 69 & 1gd, 1 servant

10.12.1868 CR 101/2/98 Golbsby & Cross

1868 Buchanan C. Cross

23.11.1868 Lantern Charles Cross

1871 Census Charles Cross 41 yo b Coventry m Sarah, 37 & 2s, 1d, 1 sister

1874 C&B C. Cross
1878 LJ Vol1 P9 Charles Cross
1879 Stevens Charles Cross

1881 C&B Charles Cross
1887 LJ Vol1 P9 Charles Cross
1887 LJ Vol1 P9 Sarah Cross

1890/91 R&G Sarah Cross
1891 LJ Vol1 P9 Sarah Cross

1891 LJ Vol1 P9 William James Cross

1893 Reporter W. J. Cross

1894 R&G William J. Cross

1896 R&G William J. Cross
1897 LJ Vol1 P9 William James Cross

1897 LJ Vol1 P9 William Parker

1903 R&G William Parker

1905 R&G William Parker

1909 R&G William Parker

1911/12 Spennell William Parker Inn

1912/13 Spennell William Parker "

1919 Spennell William Parker "

1921/22 Spennell J. W. Harvey "

1924 P. James J. W. Harvey "

1926/27 P. James A. V. Harrison "

1929 P. James T. H. Sylvester "

1933/34 P. James P. W. Burley "

1935/36 P. James H. Johnson "

1937/38 P. James F. H. Cattell "

1939/40 P. James G. Ansell "

1953 LTSD Hotel

1955/56 Barrett Not listed in street section "

1957 Barrett S. Rogers "

1960 Barrett Not listed in street section "

1961 Barrett Not listed in street section "

1962 Barrett Not listed in street section "

1966 Barrett

1983 Pubscrawl 47 Stan Melling

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P9 Thomas Wicks, London Road, Coventry
later Alfred James Wickes, 88 Kingston Road, Birmingham and George James Wickes, 8 Sidney Street, Cambridge, executors of Sarah Wickes
later Walter Thomas Humphries, 13 Upper Cox Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham
later James Cross

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.