title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Phoenix

photo
NAME PHOENIX
ADDRESS 122 GOSFORD STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES JORDAN WELL
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1720 PARROT AND GRIFFIN
1772 1851 GRIFFIN
1868   SIR COLIN CAMPBELL, CAMPBELL
  2011 SCREAM, IT'S A SCREAM
2011 present PHOENIX

In a marriage settlement of June 1720 Joseph Ash, Coventry beer brewer, settles this pub on his son, Joseph Ash junior and Bridgett Sturgess. The name was then the PARROT AND GRIFFIN. By 1773 when an auction was held on the premises, JCM 15/2/1773, it was referred to as the GRIFFIN. It is mentioned again as the GRIFFIN in a mortgage document dated 1789 and that name remained until 1868 when the name changed to the SIR COLIN CAMBELL after the 1st Baron of Clyde (1792-1863)

In the 1980's it was a 'large popular Victorian pub recently modernised' and 'a popular pub particularly with the students from the nearby Polytechnic'.

In 1995 a cellar was found behind the Colin Campbell pub. This cellar was actually set back from the historic street frontage, apparently behind the building which people would see as they walked along the street. It was dated to 1380 - 1410, the hatday of such cellars in Coventry, but had been un-roofed and filled in during the nineteenth century. The location of these cellars, almost shoe-horned in, might suggest that as a staus symbol they were sought after, but that their construction might be too disruptive to dig under existing buildings. The cellar under the Sir Colin Campbell contained a west window: on that plot there was evidence of non-ferous metalworking, so a west window would allow work to go on indoors, even in bad weather, late into the afternoon, making use of the afternoon light. It would also ventilate the cellar if oit was being used for work rather than storage. All of this appears to preclude its use as an alehouse at that date.

In the 1920s the pub was a main venue for jazz in the city and this continued to the 1970s. In the 1990s the name was shortened to the CAMPBELL and in 2011 became the PHOENIX. This was also known as SCREAM or IT'S A SCREAM for a while, after the Scream pub chain, part of the Stonegate Pub Company.

photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.