title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Phoenix Bar

The Earl of Mercia, Coventry

The former Lloyds Bank on the corner of the High Street and Little Park Street became a pub in the early 1990s called Cassidy's

NAME PHOENIX BAR
ADDRESS HIGH STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES LITTLE PARK STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
c1990 1994 CASSIDY'S
1994 1996 PHOENIX BAR
1996 2001 LLOYDS NO.1
2001 present EARL OF MERCIA
The building opened in June 1896 as Lloyds Bank. In the early 1990s it became CASSIDY'S, In 1994 it became The PHOENIX BAR with the comment 'The Phoenix rose from Cassidy's ashes' At this time it was purchased by Mansfield Brewery. The name changed again in 1996 to LLOYDS NO.1, relating to the building's former use, and then to the EARL OF MERCIA in 2001.

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.