title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Penny Black

What used to be the Penny Black Pub Coventry.

What was once The Penny Black is now residential properties called 'Penny Black House'

NAME PENNY BLACK
ADDRESS GREYFRIARS LANE

This pub was close to the old central Coventry sorting office in Salt Lane/Warwick Lane.Tthe Penny Black was the name of the first adhesive postage stamp, issued in 1840. It bore the head of Queen Victoria.

The pub opened on 15th June 1968 on the site of the former QUEENS HEAD HOTEL. In 1982 it was described as 'popular with the younger drinkers. Upstairs room used for discos and meetings'. By 2010 it had closed and become a shop and is now residential flats.

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.