title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Peeping Tom

photo
NAME PEEPING TOM
ADDRESS BURTON GREEN
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES TILE HILL, STONELEIGH

During Lady Godiva's ride all of Coventry's inhabitants behaved chivalrously and kept indoors behind closed window, except one - the tailor who peeped at Godiva as she rode past. He was reputedly struck blind and gave rise to the expression 'Peeping Tom'.

In 1896 this pub was leased by Phillips and Marriott for 14 years for £40 per annum from Thomas Hands of Canley and others. It included approximately 6 acres of land in the parishes of Stoneleigh and Berkeswell. This lease continued from 1910 to 1914 on a yearly basis until in 1914 the lease was taken on by Southam and Co.

On 6th December 1961 the new Peeping Tom opened and the old one was demolished.

Licensees
1884 Ann Green
1900 - 1910 Edmund Cox
to 1961 Kenneth Humphries (Old pub) and onwards?
Owners
1884 Midland Brewery, Much Park Street, Coventry
1961 Mann, Crossman and Paulin

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.