title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Peacock

spon end

Spon End with the Malt Shovel on the right

NAME PEACOCK
ADDRESS SPON STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1636 UNICORN
1636 1756 COCK
1822 1850 PEACOCK
This bird offered obvious scope to sign painters. It is sometimed of heraldic siginificance, where it links to the Manners family, earls and dukes of Rutland. This pub is also thought to have been known as the COCK

Licensees at the COCK were;
17th century: John Hunton Owners
17th century John & Elizabeth Browne
17th century Ralph Browne
c1636 Abraham Browne

Known Licensees at the PEACOCK are;
1822 - 1823 T. Adcock
1850 Thomas Small

Owners;
17th century John & Elizabeth Browne
17th century Ralph Browne
1636/37 Abraham Browne

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.