title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Pannier

photo
NAME PANNIER
ADDRESS 79 BIRMINGHAM ROAD, ALLESLEY
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1670 CHADMAN'S INNE
1683 1737 PANNIER

Panniers were large baskets used for carrying foods such as bread, fish and fruit. The word comes from the Latin panarium, a bead basket. Later they were specifically the baskets on either side of a saddle on a pack horse.

This pub is now the 'Gable End', part of the Allesley Hotel, near the centre of the village. It is said that in the 18th century it had one of the finest bowling greens in England. In 1683 Martha Flynt, Lady of the Manor of Allesley, conveyed the inn to Timothy Stoughton, who lived next door at Allesley House, later the Allesley Hotel. The Pannier descended to Timothy Stoughton's son in 1704 and then to his grandson, another Timothy. Around 1723 it ceased to be an inn and became a private residence.

Known Licensees are;
c1690 John Chadman
? Richard Sotherne (who moved to the WHITE LION Allesley)
1737 Timothy Stoughton
Owners
to 1683 Martha Flynt
from 1683 Timothy Stoughton

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.