title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Packhorse

photo

Well Street

NAME PACKHORSE
ADDRESS 5 WELL STREET

This is a reminder of the horses which carried packs of goods in the days before canals and railways catered for bulk transport. Pack horses travelled in trains of up to forty and would have been a familiar sight on the roads. The men in charge of them would have been regular customers at inns seeking refreshment both for themselves and their horses.

In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here In 1871 a fifth share in the inn and its appurtenances was sold by Joseph and Charlotte Cross to Mary Ann Holt for £75. The appurtenances were two adjoining houses and several in the yard.

The pub must have closed at around that date or it had become part of the ROSE INN next door when the two licenses were relinquished by Harriet Merridew in 1864.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 F. Jackson
1835 Henry Simpson
1861 Harriet Merridew
1868 John Vice
1868 J. G. Cashmore

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.