title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Wagon and Horses

photo

Well Street

NAME OLD WAGON AND HORSES
ADDRESS 7 WELL STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 1850 WAGON AND HORSES
1850 1929 OLD WAGON AND HORSES

Goods were carried all over the country by horse-drawn wagons before the advent of the railways. Many inns acted as agents and goods could be left there for sending onwards or for collection by the local people to whom they were addressed. Even after the arrival of the railways, wagons and horses continued to be a familiar sight in most areas as they carried goods or farm produce for short distances.

In 1913 this pub was leased by Phillips and Marriott for £30 per annum. They purchased it c1914 for £1775 for the pub and one cottage with a further £120 for a second cottage.

In 1929 the license was transferred to the Clarence Tavern, Earlsdon, whilst the license of the Victoria Vaults in Victoria Street was surrendered to facilitate this transfer.

Known Licensees are;
1841 William Sheppard
1841 - 1851 Joseph Sheppard
1861 - 1874 Mrs. Mary Ann Sheppard
1879 John Smith
1886 - 1894 J. Killen
1896 Thomas Hennesey
1903 A. Morris
1905 - 1914 Charles Popper
1917 - 1919 Alfred James Chattaway
1920 - 1929 Charles Popper
Owners
c1914 - 1920 Phillips and Marriott 
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.