title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Turk's Head

Warwick Lane 1931

Warwick Lane 1931. the Turk's Head was up on the left. The Grapes is the pub in the centre of the photograph

NAME OLD TURKS HEAD
ADDRESS 45 WARWICK LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 46 WARWICK LANE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1699 1886 TURKS HEAD
1886 1896 OLD TURK
1903 1907 OLD TURKS HEAD

Noble families whose members had taken part in the crusades tended to include a Turk's head as part of their arms.

In 1699 there is an agreement for the lease of the pub. Then c1775 an abstarct of the title of G. Birch to it. The Turks Head adjoins the Red Lion.

In 1907 the license is given up in consideration of the Justice's permission for alterations to the Old Ball Inn, Walsgrave Road. Between 1886 and 1896 this is listed as the OLD TURK and between 1903 and 1905 the OLD TURKS HEAD.

Known Licensees at the TURK'S HEAD are;
1841 - 1851 Robert Dalton
1861 - 1874 Samuel Goddard & bricklayer
1879 - 1886 John Edward Keene

Known Licensees at the OLD TURK are;
1890 - 1891 S. Gimson
1893 George Bates
1894 - 1896 F. Blakemore

Known Licensees at the OLD TURK'S HEAD are;
1903 S. C. Carter
1905 William Bennett

map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.