title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Sword and Mace

photo

High Street 1926

NAME SWORD AND MACE / OLD SWORD AND MACE
ADDRESS 43 EARL STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES HIGH STREET

This refers either to civic regalia or royal regalia. in 1756 six soldiers were billeted here.

A sale of bankrupts goods in 1817 included the Old Sword and Mace, which had been tenanted in succession by William Mitchell, Martha Steel, Edward Phillips, John Major and William Edwards. It seems that the pub was not a lot more successful for subsequent owners as it closed c1905.

Known Licensees are;
William Mitchell
Martha Steel
Edward Phillips
John Major
William Edwards
1822 - 1823 W. Addington
1835 Richard Stratton
1841 Edward Elton
1841 William Watts
1850 - 1851 Thomas A. Smith
1861 - 1868 William White
1874 J. Doughty
1879 George Atkins
1881 Ann Atkins
1886 - 1893 C. Atkins
1894 Mrs C. Atkins
1896 T. Heath

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.