title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Plough

photo

The decorative building on the far left is No.9, the Plough Hotel on the corner of Queen Victoria Road. The gap on the right between 12 and 13 Spon Street was once known as "Ashton's Yard".

NAME OLD PLOUGH
ALTERNATIVE NAMES PLOUGH
ADDRESS 9 SPON STREET

This is one of the commonest pub names in Britain, having been in use since at least the sixteenth century. Apart from the farm implement signs often show the group of seven stars in the Ursa Major constellation called ' the plough '.

The pub is thought to date to the early years on the nineteenth century. The land that it occupied would once have included a spacious garden that ran down to the River Sherbourne. By this time garens were all being built on. As well as the pub itself there was a brewhouse, carpenters shop and cellarge that could accommodate 2500 gallons of ale. this sounds a substatial business premisis to me. Also in the grounds was another large dwelling containing a bew house, a large garden suitable for further development and five tennaments at the end of the garden. Bear in mind that a brew house was simply a place where water was boiled; it does not necessarily imply that beer was brewed there. The pub was advertised for sale in 1840.

The usual inquests were held at the Plough and in 1859 a Foleshill man committed suicide at the pub by shooting himself through the body.

In November 1940 the Plough was completely destroyed when it suffered a direct hit by enemy bombing. Six people were killed incliuding the proprietor, Lilly Potter. On the site today stands a timber-framed building originally standing in Much Park Street and reconstructed in Spon Street in 1972.

See also PLOUGH, Spon Street.
Known Licensees are;
1840 George Kent
1841 Eli Hartwell
1850 F. J. Wood
1850 Thomas Hughes
1859 Mr Feltham
1861 James W. Thompson licensed victualler & stone mason
1868 - 1871 Mrs Sarah Ann Warwick dressmaker & licensed victualler
1874 J. Malin
1879 Mrs Mary Ellen Malin
1881 - 1886 Charles Jones
1890 - 1896 J. Horobin
1903 - 1912 William H. Jackson
1912 - 1919 James Thomas Stringer
1921 - 1922 A. C. Maiden
1924 - 1929 F. Garner
1931 - 1940 E. C. Potter
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.