title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Pilot

photo

Once the through road to the "Great Park", one of Coventry's most ancient and appropriately named streets is Much Park Street, seen here in 1912.

NAME OLD PILOT
ALTERNATIVE NAMES YE OLDE PILOT, PILOT
ADDRESS 48 - 49 MUCH PARK STREET

In her newspaper articles about the origin of Coventry pub signs Mary Dormer Harris records that Mr. T. Cash considers this sign relates to the Coventry Mystery plays. He claims that the name should be Pilate - recalling the most famous character in the Smith's play of the trial and crucifiction. Interesting conjecture...

the earliest record is in the CS in February 1849 when it was to let. In 1919 and 1932 it is referred to as Ye Olde Pilot .In 1926, 1927 and 1929 it advertised Mitchells & Butlers celebrated ales, with hot and cold lunches. it traded until c1938, but was not demolished until 1962 to make way for the London Road section of the ring-road.

See also the PILOT, Much Park Street.

Licensees
1854 Webb
1859 Thomas Hobson
1861 Thomas P. Johnson
1868 - 1874 William Raby
1879 Mrs Raby
1881 E. Raby
1886 S. Miles
1890 - 1891 H. Jones
1893 - 1905 Matthew Moss
1909 - 1912 Mrs Mary E. Moss
1912 - 1922 Herbert James Pemberton
1924 - 1929 G. W. Bennett
1931 - 1932 G. W. Bennett & F. Essex
1933 - 1934 O. A. Joyce
1934 - 1940 G. F. Ireland
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.