|NAME||OLD ENGINE INN|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1830||1985||ENGINE INN, OLD ENGINE INN|
|ADDRESS||270 BEDWORTH ROAD|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||27 BEDWORTH ROAD, 270 LONGFORD ROAD|
|This seems to have been a reference to a local steam engine, perhaps for pit winding or water raising. A 'fire engine' at that time meant an external combustion engine, i.e. a steam engine powered by a fire, an atmospheric steam engine of the Newcomen type
In 1772 the FIRE ENGINE at Longford was used for an auction.
In 1830 a noted prizefight took place behind the Engine between John Adrian, licensee of the Windmill pub in Spon Street and a man called Betteridge, for £20 a side. It may have taken place here because it was outside the jurisdiction of the Coventry law. This shows that the Engine was in existence by 1830.
In 1853 the licensee, Benjamin Bird, who was also a local farmer, purchased the City Arms in Earlsdon. He had previously been the licensee at the Queens Arms, Cross Cheaping (1841)
In 1906 the Engine was purchased by Phipps of Northampton for £2000. In 1982 it was 'a pleasant well decorated pub knocked into a single bar but with a seperate games area.'
Were Mrs Anne Bedder (1876 - 1880) and Mrs Anne Edwards (1885 - 1908) the same person, and likewise John (1910) and James (1912) Brindley were probably the same?
Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.
Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).
|Known Licensees are;
1840 - 1845 Thomas Parish
1850 Benjamin Bird (see also Queens Arms, Cross Cheaping and The City Arms, Earlsdon)
1851 Mark West
1863 Joseph Hollyoak
1866 Thomas Warren
1868 Henry Warren
1871 - 1874 Francis Bedder
1876 - 1880 Mrs Anne ( Annie ) Bedder
1885 - 1908 Mrs Anne Edwards
1910 John Brindley
1912 James Brindley
1924 William John Hodson
1926 - 1934 Arthur Albert Hodson
1935 - 1940 G. T. Ellis
1960 - 1962 J. J. Kelly
Robert Trevor Matthews (see below)
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.