title
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome, feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Crown Inn

photo
NAME OLD CROWN INN
ADDRESS 89 WINDMILL ROAD, FOLESHILL
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 1892 CROWN
1892 present OLD CROWN INN

Over 500 pubs are called the Crown, reflecting the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for six hundred years. It has in its favour the fact that it is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and recognise, whilst at the same time demonstrating loyalty to the monarch.

Before 1905 see CROWN. In 1982 this was described as 'a typical town pub, with the date of the building (1914) inscribed in the wall'. This must have replaced an older pub as I have records of licensees before that date.

Former Coventry City half back, Jack Snape, kept the pub in the 1960's. Then in the 1980's, landlord Peter Dobbin was former prop forward with Rugby Lions. There was a pigeon club and a boxing ring upstairs at one time.

Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.

Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).

Known Licensees are;
1841 - 1845 George Longfield
1861 - 1868 Richard Green
1871 - 1874 Joseph Stanley
1876 - 1880 Samuel Jaques
1888 - 1892 Mrs Ann Jaques
1905 - 1924 John Walden
1931 - 1936 H. Heath
1936 - 1940 Thomas Payne
1947 Francis Wanklin
1950 A. Handel
1951 - 1962 J. Snape
1983 Peter Dobbin
1985 J. D. Oliver

photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix. All rights reserved.
logo