title
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome, feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Crown

photo

The buildings known as Whitefriars are the surviving fragments of a Carmelite friary founded in 1342 in Coventry, England. All that remains are the eastern cloister walk, a postern gateway in Much Park Street and the foundations of the friary church. It was initially home to a friary until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. During the 1500s it was owned by John Hales and served as King Henry VIII School, Coventry, before the school moved to St John's Hospital, Coventry. It was home to a workhouse during the 1800s. The buildings are currently used by Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry.

NAME OLD CROWN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES CROWN. BEERHOUSE, Cow Lane
ADDRESS WHITEFRIARS LANE

Over 500 pubs are called the Crown, reflecting the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for six hundred years. It has in its favour the fact that it is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and recognise, whilst at the same time demonstrating loyalty to the monarch.

In 1801 this pub was to let as the CROWN. In 1835 it was the BEERHOUSE, Cow Lane. In 1861 it was again to let, this time as the Old Crown. It appears to have closed soon after this.

Licensees
1822 - 1835 William Gilbert
1841 Sarah Gilbert
1845 F. Bird
1850 Francis John Gilbert



 


Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix. All rights reserved.
logo