title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Old Crown Inn

map

Hawkesbury Lane at Tusses bridge over the Coventry canal

NAME OLD CROWN INN
ADDRESS HAWKESBURY LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES SOWE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 1874 CROWN
1874 closure OLD CROWN INN, OLD CROWN HOTEL

Over 500 pubs are called the Crown, reflecting the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for six hundred years. It has in its favour the fact that it is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and recognise, whilst at the same time demonstrating loyalty to the monarch.

From 1841 to 1874 see CROWN, Hawkesbury Lane.

This pub was owned by the Earl of Craven. On 25 March 1882 it was leased to Phipps of Northampton for 30 years for £18 per annum. Phipps purchased it in 1925 along with a garden and a small piece of land with a frontage of 30ft. on to Lentons Lane. They charged their tenant £20. 10s 0d per annum.

Known Licensees are;
1876 William Holland
1879 - 1880 William West
1892 - 1912 Samuel Warwick
1924 John Borrows
1929 - 1940 F. E.Baxter
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.