Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
|| EARLSDON AVENUE
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY
||CLARENCE INN, CLARENCE TAVERN, CLARENCE STORES INN, STORE INN
||PORT O' CALL
|The PORT O' CALL reopened as the OLD CLARENCE after a £300,000 facelift.
|Since Earlsdon's creation from 1852 there had been a strong mix of progressive Liberal politics and non - conformism, particularly Wesleyan Methodism. Hence Earlsdon was never as well supplied with pubs as other watchmaking areas in the city such as Chapelfields and Spon End. In 1912 the inhabitants of the Earlsdon Avenue North area strongly objected to plans for an off- license on the corner with Coniston Road. They were unsuccessful and the brewery built a pub that operated as an off-license alone for the next 15 years until permission was obtained for a full public house license. So, from 1914 to 1929 it operated as the Clarence Stores Inn with an off license only. In 1929 the license of the Waggon and Horses, Well Street, was transferred to the Clarence Tavern and the license of the Victoria Vaults in Victoria Street was also surrendered to facilitate this transfer.
In 1971 the pub was renamed The Port of Call, reverting to the Old Clarence in 1991.
Known Licensees at the CLARENCE INN are;
1914 - 1929 Samuel H. Clarence Brown
1931 - 1940 M. H. Broadway
1955 - 1957 John Butter
1960's Thady Joseph Flannelly (see also Craven Arms, High Street)
Known Licensees at the OLD CLARENCE are;
1990 David & Pat Bridgeman