|THIS PREMISES WAS ALSO KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
This pub is only known from one directory, Whites of 1874. It is thought to have been previously the GOLDEN BALL
This sign was used by many tradesmen in the past, probably because it was a simple visual symbol. It appears to have no heraldic or religious significance. The royal orb is linked with Constantine the Great, who adopted a golden globe as a symbol and added a cross to it later when he was converted to Christianity.
In 1787 an auction was hekd at the sign of the BALL, and in 1801 it was adverised to let. By 1874 it ihas become the THREE HORSESHOES, although this was at No 40
Dict PN The convenience of this visual symbol has made it a popular sign since the fifteenth century.
23.5.1848 JA62 CH&O Transfer of license of OLD BALL, Bishop Street from James Keene to - ? - Gillings
1848 JA62 CH&O James Keene
1848 JA62 CH&O - ? - Gillings
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.