|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||ROYAL OAK, SHANNON CLUB|
|ADDRESS||120 GOSFORD STREET|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||119 GOSFORD STREET|
Second only in popularity to the Red Lion as a pub name. Following the defeat of the Battle of Worcester in 1651, Charles II together with his aide, Colonel Carless, hid from noon till dusk in the Boscobel Oak near Shifnal, Shropshire, in order to escape from his roundhead pursuers. After the restoration of Charles II to the throne, it was declared that May 29th, the King's birthday, should henceforth be celebrated as Royal Oak Day as an act of thanksgiving. The popularity of the pub sign may be attributed to genuine rejoicing that the monarchy had been restored but also comments on the popularity of particular human incidents.
This is a Grade II Listed Building. It is 'an early timber framed structure altered in the 19th century by refacing in stucco. It has a tiled roof, rusticated ground floor and a wooden cornice at first floor level'. As a pub it is thought to date to at least 1800. In 1890 it was leased by Phillips and Marriott for 14 years for £24 per annum from Dry & Sons of Cope Street, Coventry. In 1904 it was leased for a further 7 years for £52 per annum and then in 1911 leased for another 7 years for £60 per annum. In 1918 the lease lapsed and the pub was bought by Atkinsons Ltd.
The pub was called the ROYAL OAK until 1910 when it became just The Oak Inn. In 1982 it was described as a popular small pub also known as the Shannon Club.
1890 - 1918 Dry & Sons, Cope Street, Coventry
1918 Atkinsons Ltd
Dict PN Second only to the Red Lion. Following the defeat of the Battle of Worcester in 1651, Charles II, together with his aide, Colonel Carless, hid from noon to dusk in the Boscobel Oak, near Shifnal, Salop, in order to escape from the roundhead solkdiers pursuing them. After the restoration of Charles II to the throne it was declared that May 29th, the KIng's birthday, should henceforth be celebrated as Royal Oak Day as an act of thanksgiving. The popularity of the pub sign may be attributed to general rejoicing that the monarchy had been restored, but it also comments on the appeal of peculiar human incidents, comprehensible even to a child, over the great events that shape history.
Listed Building II Early timber-framed structure, altered 19th century by refacing in stucco. Tiled roof, 2 storeys, rusticated ground floor, wooden cornice at 1st floor level, 2 windows.
1787 1000 Years Sale at Royal Oak
c1800 COC P41 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map - Royal Oak
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P29 OAK, Gosford Street Alehouse
( directories call it the Royal Oak till 1910, Licensing Justices already call it just Oak )
Owner : William Masters
later Eliza Masters
later Amos Masters
Licensee : William Masters
1.5.1880 TOL to Eliza Masters
2.6.1881 TOL to Amos Masters
5.3.1891 TOL to Frederick Bonham
16.4.1891 TOL to Charles James Blay
1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs
25.12.1890 P&M PR Leased by Phillips & Marriott for 14 years for £ 24 from Dry & Sons, Cope Street, Coventry.
25.12.1904 P&M PR Leased for 7 yers for £ 52 p.a.
1910 Became OAK
25.12.1911 P&M PR Leased for 7 years for £ 60 p.a.
25.12.1918 P&M PR Lease lapsed. Property purchased by Atkinsons Ltd
1982 WRAG3 Popular small pub also known asthe Shannon Club. A Grade II listed building with an early timber frame, altered in the 19th century.
1822/23 Pigot T. Gilbert Royal Oak
1828/29 Pigot Thomas Gilbert " "
1841 Pigot George Frost " "
1841 Census George Frost 35 yo b Wks m Hannah, 30
1845 Kelly G. Frost Royal Oak
1850 CS William Marston " "
1861 Census William Masters 49 yo b Staverton m Eliza, 54 & 1 servant [ GEORGE IN THE TREE
23.11.1868 Lantern William Masters Royal Oak
1871 Census William Masters
1874 C&B W. Masters Royal Oak
1878 LJ Vol 1 P29 William Masters
1879 Stevens William Masters Royal Oak
1880 LJ Vol 1 P29 William Masters
1880 LJ Vol 1 P29 Eliza Masters
1881 C&B Eliza Masters Royal Oak
1881 LJ Vol 1 P29 Eliza Masters
1881 LJ Vol 1 P29 Amos Masters
1886 C&B A. Masters Royal Oak
1890/91 R&G A. Masters Royal Oak
1891 LJ Vol 1 P29 Amos Masters
1891 LJ Vol 1 P29 Frederick Bonham
1891 LJ Vol 1 P29 Charles James Blay
26.3.1891 P&M PR Charles James Blay Royal Oak
1893 Reporter C. B. Blay " "
1894 R&G C. J. Blay " "
1896 R&G C. J. Blay " "
1898 LJ Vol 1 P29 Charles James Blay
27.9.1901 P&M PR John Dutson
1903 R&G J. Dutson
30.9.1903 P&M PR James Sidwell
1905 R&G W. J. Sidwell
17.1.1906 P&M PR John Mason
18.9.1906 P&M PR Henry Ford
29.10.1908 P&M PR Alfred Hewson
1909 R&G Henry Ford
26.10.1909 P&M PR William Green
19.7.1911 P&M PR Joseph Moore
1912/13 Spennell William Green
8.12.1914 P&M PR Joseph Lamb
1919 Spennell William Green
1921/22 Spennell E. Lamb
1924 P. James E. Lamb
1926/27 P. James E. Lamb
1929 P. James E. Parkes
1933/34 P. James S. E. Lymans
1935/36 P. James S. E. Lymans
1937/38 P. James H. W. H. Crane
1939/40 P. James L. P. J. Whatton
1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named
1957 Barrett Licensee not named
1959 Citypubs 56 John Heath
1960 Barrett Lydia Felton
1961 Barrett Lydia Felton
1962 Barrett Lydia Felton
1878 LJ Vol 1 P29 William Masters
later LJ Vol 1 P29 Eliza Masters
later LJ Vol 1 P29 Amos Masters
1898 LJ Vol 1 P29 Amos Masters
1890 P&M PR Dry & Sons, Cope Street, Coventry.
1918 P&M PR Dry & Sons, Cope Street, Coventry.
1918 P&M PR Property purchased by Atkinsons Ltd
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.