title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The New Saracens Head

photo

Main Street in Longford 1913

NAME NEW SARACENS HEAD
ADDRESS LONGFORD

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1878 ? NEW SARACENS HEAD
1880 1904 BEERHOUSE, Longford

To the Greeks and Romans a Saracen was a nomad of the Arabian desert. The word came to mean 'Arab', then Moslem, especially with regard to the Crusades. Noble families whose members had taken part in the Crusades tended to include a Saracen's head as part of their arms and so it was transferrd to inn signs.

Between 1880 and 1904 see the BEERHOUSE, Longford. This pub was sandwiched between the SARACENS HEAD and the COACH & HORSES. The name of the Saracens Head was exended to the OLD SARACENS HEAD when the NEW SARACENS HEAD opened next door.

Known Licensees are;
1878 Richard Steane
1879 Arthur Mason

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.