|ADDRESS||LEICESTER ROAD, LONGFORD|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||WINDMILL LANE, NEW INN BRIDGE, FOLESHILL, LITTLE HEATH|
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|These inns were once new, perhaps replacing older ones on the same site. Many new inns came into being in the sixteenth century as a result of Elizabeth I's policies.
In 1791 the Foleshill & Exhall Association for the Prosecution of Felons met here. In 1799 it is described as ' The New Inn, Foleshill, house of Mr Ryley, in the parish of Foleshill, adjoining the Turnpike Road leading to Bedworth '.This pub was owned by Phipps of Northampton at least between 1898 and 1926.
It became the FIESTA in 1974.
Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford).
The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.
Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).
|Known Licensees are;
1845 - 1850 Mrs. Mary Anne Chaplin & butcher
1863 John Jones & cattle dealer
1866 James Griffin
1868 William Morgan
1874 William Ensor
1876 Joseph Cattell
1879 - 1892 Francis Sephton (see notes)
1898 - 1926 William Lombard
1926 - 1932 J. Sephton (see notes)
1933 - 1940 G. G. W. Adams
1955 - 1957 William H. Keene and Edward Hogan
1960 - 1962 C. J. Meadows
1799 Edward Ryley
1830 John Fletcher
1898 - 1926 Phipps
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.