title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The New Inn

The New Inn, Hillfields Coventry
NAME NEW INN
ADDRESS 64 KING WILLIAM STREET

These inns were once new, perhaps replacing older ones on the same site. Many new inns came into being in the sixteenth century as a result of Elizabeth I's policies.

On 27th August 1852 a new license was granted to Henry Lee for this pub.The licensee between 1886 and 1896, William Hewitt jumior, went on to be a councillor and Mayor of Coventry ( he died in office ). He was Mayor when the Prince of Wales ( later Edward VIII ) visited the city in 19124. In 1926 this pub was sold by Charringtons. It is thought to have brewed its own beer at one time. In 1962 it had 'a comfortable bar, a delightful smoke room and a snug which the locals called the ' hen roost ' as it was mainly used by the ladies'. The pub was thought to be over 100 years old at the time but it was soon to be demolished under the Corporation's redevelopment scheme. In fact it closed on 29th October 1970.

newspaper clipping
Known Licensees are;
1852 - 1868 Henry Lee
1871 Barker King, licensed victualler & farmer
1874 A. King
1879 - 1881 William Dorrington
1886 - 1896 William Hewitt
1903 - 1913 Joseph F. York
1921 - 1922 E. Juggins
1924 - 1929 T. A. Downton
1931 - 1932 Mrs. M. E. Downton
1933 - 1940 F. J. Pickard
c1952 - 1970 J. W. Bott (see clipping above)
Owners;
to 1926 Charrington
1962 Bass
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN They were once new, later examples sometimes replacing inns which had previously stood on the site, and the name, though simple, is perfectly honourable. Many new inns came into being in the sixteenth century as a result of Elizabeth I's complaints about the lack of suitable places to stay.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

27.8.1852 JA16 CS New license granted to Henry Lee

1886 Source 41 William Hewitt junior went on to be a councillor and Mayor of Coventry ( he died in office ). In 1924 he was mayor when the Prince of Wales ( who abdicated ) visited the city.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P13 NEW INN, King William Street Alehouse
Owner : Joseph Rigg, Well Street, Coventry
later John Nick, Fillongley
later Atkinson Limited, Aston Park Brewery, Birmingham
Licensee : William Dorrington
3.11.1881 TOL to Alfred Fielding
23.10.1885 TOL to William Hewitt

2.1926 News 86 Sold by Charringtons

13.2.1962 Citypubs 75 A Bass house. Mr Bott hopes to stay at the New Inn until the pub, which must be over 100 years old, is demolished under the Corporation's redevelopment scheme. There have been many structural alterations to the Hillfields premises and there is evidence at the rear of the building that they used to brew their own beer. There is a comfortable bar, a delightful smoke room and a snug, which the customers have named the ' Hen Roost ', as it is mainly used by the ladies.

29.10.1970 JA CET Closed

LICENSEES

1851 Census Henry Lee

1861 Census Henry Lee 58 yo b Berkswell m Catherine, 52 & 2d

23.11.1868 Lantern Henry Lee

1871 Census Barker King 65 yo licensed victualler & farmer b Kilsby

1874 C&B A. King [ m Ann, 66 & 1 servant
1878 LJ Vol 1 P13 William Dorrington
1879 Stevens William Dorrington

1881 C&B William Dorrington
1881 LJ Vol 1 P13 William Dorrington
1881 LJ Vol 1 P13 Alfred Fielding
1885 LJ Vol 1 P13 Alfred Fielding
1885 LJ Vol 1 P13 William Hewitt
1886 C&B William Hewitt

1886 Source 41 William Hewitt junior

1890/91 R&G William Hewitt

1893 Reporter W. Hewitt

1894 R&G William Hewitt

1896 R&G William Hewitt

1903 R&G Joseph F. York

1905 R&G Joseph F. York

1909 R&G Joseph F. York

1911/12 Spennell Joseph F. York

1912/13 Spennell Joseph F. York

1921/22 Spennell E. Juggins

1924 P. James T. A. Downton

1926/27 P. James T. A. Downton

1929 P. James T. A. Downton

1931/32 P. James Mrs M. E. Downton

1933/34 P. James F. J. Pickard

1937/38 P. James F. J. Pickard

1939/40 P. James F. J. Pickard

1953 LTSD

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named

1957 Barrett Licensee not named

1960 Barrett Not listed in street section

1961 Barrett Not listed in street section

1962 Citypubs 75 J. W. Bott

1962 Barrett Not listed in street section

1966 Barrett

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P13 Joseph Rigg, Well Street, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P13 John Nick, Fillongley
later LJ Vol 1 P13 Atkinson Limited, Aston Park Brewery, Birmingham
1926 News 86 Charringtons

1962 Citypubs 75 Bass

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.