title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Navigation

photo

Colour images by Paul Kennelly

NAME NAVIGATION
ADDRESS 771 STONEY STANTON ROAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES RED HOUSE ROAD, FOLESHILL, PARADISE, COURTHOUSE GREEN, BIRCH'S BRIDGE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1822 2002 NAVIGATION INN
1900 BEERHOUSE, Courthouse Green
photo

The word 'navigation' used to mean a canal (as well as other waterways) and the men who built them as 'navigators', shortened to navvies. This pub was close to the canal.

In 1822 this pub was used for auctions. In 1900 this was the BEERHOUSE, Courthouse Green.

This pub was owned by Phipps of Northampton along with two cottages on Bridge Street. It was rebuilt in 1926. At that time it was a real old canalside pub selling Phipps dark and light mild.

By 1985 it had become part of Mann's estate and had one through lounge cum bar. Then, strangely, in 1991 it became a Bellhaven pub. Bellhaven brewery was in Dunbar, Scotland. Soon after this it closed and, following an arson attack in 1999, it was demolished in 2002 to be replaced with a new building for Mutual Clothing & Supply Co Ltd.

photo
photo

Coventry Evening Telegraph clipping from the early 1960's

Licensees
1841 Edward Coleman
1841 James Rowston (previously at the public house, Enly [ Henley ] )
1845 James Daffern & blacksmith
1850 - 1851 John Nicholls
1861 - 1866 John Warwick & limeburner
1868 Mrs A. Warwick
1871 - 1880 Charles Archer
1888 - 1892 William Lole
1903 - 1913 J. Cakebread
1912 - 1940 William Walker
1955 - 1957 Leonard Percival Cross
1960 - 1962 Alfred Goodman photo
c1963/64 Bill and May Toseland (see above, see also Broomfield Tavern and Fox and Vivian, Gosford Street)
mid-late 1960's Clifton James Whitmore (see also Jolly Colliers)
1985 Marilyn Beales

photo

Map from 1888

photo

Navigation Inn, car park view of concert room fire damage

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.