title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Nags Head

NAME NAGS HEAD
ADDRESS 42 SPON END
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 29 SPON END

A 'nag' is a small riding horse or pony and early signs showing a nag's head probably indicated that one could be hired from the inn.

In 1715 there is a record of a rent being charged to Widow Pickering at the Nags Head and it is mentioned again in 1738 and 1741. In 1754 this pub was bequeathed by Elizabeth Dullison to her son Thomas. It was occupied by D. Edwards. In 1756 ten soldiers were billeted here.

In 1900 the pub was leased by Phillips and Marriotts on an annual tenancy for £53 per annum from Sir Thomas Whites Trustees. It was a home brew pub at that time as Phillips and Marriott were selling malt to the pub at 6d per bushel. This was later dropped to 3d per bushel. They also state that the pub 'shall brew half its ale and purchase half from the landlords' (i.e. Phillips and Marriott). In 1901 it was leased for 10 years for £65 per annum. In 1911 the lease was extended for a further 5 years for £70 per annum and in 1916 the lease lapsed.

The Nags Head was an old coaching inn with a large yard and stabling to the rear. It survived the Luftwaffe only to be hit by a demolition squad in the c1962 to be replaced by M&B wine merchants and is now the site of a plumbing showroom.

photo

The Nags Head undergoing an extension

Licensees
1715 Widow Pickering
1754 D. Edwards
1822 - 1823 T. Rotherham
1828 - 1829 William Sanders
1835 William Randle
1841 - 1851 William Hulk
1861 Henry Coppock
1866 Henry Hewitt
1866 - 1886 James Thompson
1890 - 1896 H. E. Hanson
1901 Amos Avens
1901 - 1903 Arthur Henry Hewitt
1903 - 1904 H. A. Hewitt
1904 - 1913 Joseph Hewitt
1915 Elizabeth Hewitt
1919 - 1927 Titus Andrew Jeffcott
1929 F. S. Stanley
1933 - 1936 A. T. H. Courtnell
1937 - 1938 S. J. Miles
1939 - 1940 W. J. Edmunds
? Tommy Wall
1962 Albert Harrison

Brewers
1890 James Thompson

Owners
1715 - 1738 Sir Thomas Whites Charity
1754 Elizabeth Dullison
1754 Thomas Dullison
photo

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN A ' nag ' is a small riding horse or pony, and early signs showing a nag's head probably indicated that one could be hd for hire from the inn.

1715 JA9 Rental of Warden's account, Michaelmas 1715 to Michaelmas 1716 JA34 Ref8 shows that a rental was charged to WidowPickering at the NAGS HEAD, Spon Street.

1738 JA29 BA/D/1/49/8 By mayor, bailiffs and commonality, qua Sir Thomas Whites Charity Trustees, to Cleophas Ratliff ( of Coventry, innholder ), properties adjoining the Nags Head Inn, Spon End.

1741 JA34 CCP7/10/1737 Spon Street Ward

The Cosway between the Horseshoe and the Nags Head for broken peavment.

7.9.1754 CR 371/18 Bequeathed by Elizabeth Dullison to her son Thomas. Occupied by D. Edwards

1754 Spon P125 The Nags Head, No 42, was an old coaching inn and incorporated a large yard and stables at the rear. Although the earliest reference I have found is 1754 I think it was much older than that. It closed c1962.

1756 Alderman Hewitt 10 soldiers billetted

c1800 COC Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

28.9.1868 JA125 CS Transferof license from Henry Hewitt to James Thompson

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 NAGS HEAD, Spon End Alehouse
Owner : William Tibbitts, Balsal Street
later Sir Thomas Whites Trustees
Licensee : James Thompson
21.4.1887 TOL to Henry Edward Hanson
16.12.1881 fined 10/- & costs for house open in prohibited hours

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

25.3.1900 P&M PR Leased by Phillips & Marriott on an annual tennancy for £ 53 from Sir Thomas Whites Trustees

P&M PR Malt 6d/bushel - later 3d. ' Shall brew half ale and purchase half from landlords.'

29.9.1901 P&M PR Leased for 10 years for £ 65 p.a.

29.9.1911 P&M PR Leased for 5 years for £ 70 p.a.

25.12.1916 P&M PR Phillips & Marriotts lease lapsed

1960's Pubscrawl 21 The Nags head survived the Luftwaffe, but was hit in the early 1960's by a brewery demolition squad.

c1962 Lee - website Closed. Demolished and replaced by M&B Wine Merchants.Now a plimbing showroom.

News 2-8 Demolition

LICENSEES

1715 JA9 } WidowPickering .

JA34 Ref 8 }

7.9.1754 CR 371/18 D. Edwards

1822/23 Pigot T. Rotherham

1828/29 Pigot Wm Sanders

1835 Pigot William Randle

1841 Pigot William Hulk

1845 Kelly W. Hulk

1850 CS William Hulk

1851 Census William Hulk 51 yo b Coventry m Elizabeth, 50 & 1s

1861 Census Henry Coppock 38 yo b Rugby m Emma, 35 & 1s

1861 Census James Thompson at un-named premises in Spon Street- licensed

1866 JA125 CS Henry Hewitt [ victualler & stone mason

1866 JA125 CS James Thompson

1868 Buchanan J. Thompson

23.11.1868 Lantern James Thompson

1871 Census James Thompson 63 yo b Coventry m Elizabeth, 49 & 2d, 1gd,

1874 C&B J. Thompson [ 4 lodgers
1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 James Thompson
1879 Stevens James Thompson

1881 C&B J. Thompson

1886 C&B J. Thompson
1887 LJ Vol 1 P45 James Thompson
1887 LJ Vol 1 P45 Henry Edward Hanson
1890/91 R&G H. E. Hanson

1893 Reporter H. E. Hanson

1894 R&G H. E. Hanson

1896 R&G H. E. Hanson
1898 LJ Vol 1 P45 Henry Edward Hanson
21.5.1901 P&M PR Amos Avens

27.11.1901 P&M PR Arthur Henry Hewitt

1903 R&G H. A. Hewitt

2.6.1904 P&M PR Joseph Hewitt

1905 R&G J. Hewitt

1909 R&G J. Hewitt

1.6.1910 P&M PR Joseph Hewitt new agreement

1911/12 Spennell Joseph Hewitt

1912/13 Spennell Joseph Hewitt

23.2.1915 P&M PR Elizabeth Hewitt

1919 Spennell Titus Andrew Jeffcott

1921/22 Spennell Titus Andrew Jeffcott

1924 P. James Titus Andrew Jeffcott

1926/27 P. James Titus Andrew Jeffcott

1929 P. James F. S. Stanley

1933/34 P. James A. T. H. Courtnell

1935/36 P. James A. T. H. Courtnell

1937/38 P. James S. J. Miles

1939/40 P. James W. J. Edmunds

1953 LTSD

? Pubscrawl 101 Tommy Wall

c1962 News 2-8 Albert Harrison last licensee

BREWERS

1890 WB P20 JamesThompson

OWNERS

1715 JA9 } Sir Thomas Whites Charity

JA34 Ref8 }

1738 JA29 BA/D/1/49/8 Sir Thomas Whites Charity

7.9.1754 CR 371/18 Elizabeth Dullison } these must be

7.9.1754 CR 371/18 Thomas Dullison } representatives of

1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 William Tibbitts, Balsal Street } the charity
later LJ Vol 1 P45 Sir Thomas Whites Trustees
1898 LJ Vol 1 P45 Sir Thomas Whites Trustees

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.