title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The M.U.O.O.F. Arms

photo
NAME M.U.O.O.F. ARMS
ALTERNATIVE NAMES M.U.O.O.F. TAVERN, ODDFELLOWS ARMS. Full name MANCHESTER UNITED ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS, BEERHOUSE
ADDRESS 1 BOND STREET
The name Oddfellows Arms refers to the Independant Order of Oddfellows (Manchester Union), a social and benevolent society with branches throughout the U.K. and in many other countries. Active since the early nineteenth century it is said to derive its name from a remark made about the founding members.

The pub was known as the ODDFELLOWS ARMS until 1886. From 1886 it was the M. U. O. O. F. TAVERN. In 1871 and 1881 it was referred to as the MUOOF ARMS. In 1888 it was known as the MU Odd Fellows Arms (see map below).

In 1925 the license of the Oddfellows Arms, Bond Street, was surrendered for the opening of the new Rose and Crown, Stoke, which opened as a fully licensed house 21.12.1925. Previously the old Rose and Crown had only had an on beerhouse license.

Known Licensees are;
1881 M. Freckleton
1886 - 1922 Arthur Kelsey
1924 - 1927 C. J. Kelsey

These records do not tally with the Beerhouse, 1 Bond Street

map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.