title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Mulberry Tree

photo
NAME MULBERRY TREE
ADDRESS 20 JORDAN WELL
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 1855 MULBERRY TREE
1858 1861 GENERAL HAVELOCK
The leaves of the mulberry tree are used to feed solkworms. Silk weaving was at one time the staple industry of Coventry

In 1849 the brewing plant, fixtures and furniture were sold at the Mulberry Treet. We then have records of two license transfers in 1850 and 1852. By 1858 it was known as the GENERAL HAVELOCK.

Known Licensees for the MULBERRY TREE are;
1841 Joseph Adler
1845 William Warden
1849 Mr Howkins
1850 John Andrews
1850 - 1851 John Coling
1852 Benjamin Smart
1852 William Warden

Known Licensees for the GENERAL HAVELOCK are;
1858 Thomas Poultnery
1861 John Deeming

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.