title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Miners Arms

photo
NAME MINERS ARMS
ADDRESS ALDERMANS GREEN ROAD
PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS BEERHOUSE

This name came about because of the number of coal mines locally. The first reference we have found is in 1815 when adjacent tenaments were for sale. In In 1874 it is recorded as just ' The BEERHOUSE ', Aldermans Green Road.1926-27 the pub advertised 'Choice wines and spirits, prime ales and stouts, teas and refreshments. Bowling green and a large lawn suitable for children'. This all sounds quite enviable but this was the old Miners Arms, an intimate cottage-style inn built before the village of Aldermans Green was swallowed up by Coventry's urban sprawl.

The new Miners Arms was built on the same site in 1968. It was a brick two-roomed pub with little to recommend it. It was demolished by 2010. Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.

Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).

Licensees
1845 - 1868 Richard Barson
1871 - 1876 William Barson
1879 John William Jones
1880 George Simpson
1888 - 1900 Thomas Harvey
1904 George Howe
1908 John Goodyer
1912 John Welford
1924 Mrs. E. Welford
1926 - 1957 Ernest L. (or S.) Wilford
1960 - 1962 W. T. Shaw
1985 Alan Frisby

These records do not tally with those of the Beerhouse, although the licensees appear to be from the same family, the Barsons, from 1845-79.

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.