title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Midland Refreshment Rooms

photo

View of Coventry stations' Refreshment Room and the Parcels Office. Built as part of the 1901-3 extension, the refreshment room which was to the right of the entrance canopy was accessed only from the up platform. The parcels office was part of an earlier construction phase as can be seen by the very different style of front facade. The station sign is thought to be LMS in origin whilst the ex-LNWR Refreshment Room sign has not been painted for some unknown reason despite still being in use whilst all other signs are painted. 10th April 1953. Photo and info courtesy of Warwickshire Railways.com

NAME MIDLAND REFRESHMENT ROOMS
ADDRESS WARWICK ROAD

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1871 c1966 RAILWAY HOTEL, RAILWAY REFRESHMENT ROOMS, MIDLAND REFRESHMENT ROOMS
c1966 2014 ROCKET
These were the refreshment rooms built by the Midland Railway for Coventry Station. See RAILWAY REFRESHMENT ROOMS
photo

Possibly the earliest ever view of The Railway Refreshment Rooms on Warwick Road from around 1860, showing the goods yard with the Bullfields beyond, and the City's spires in the distance. Photo courtesy of Rob Orland

photo

From the 1888 town planning map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.