title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Melbourne Hotel

photo

Spon Street 1910 and the unveiling of the Martyrs' Memorial. The cross was unveiled by the Mayor on 15 September 1910, at a ceremony conducted by F. M. Brodie, the Vicar of Christ Church and in the presence of nearly one thousand people.

The Coventry martyrs were burned at the stake between 1510-1555 on a site in Little Park Street. From the fourteenth century the midlands became a focus of the religious revival associated with John Wycliffe and the Lollards. The Lollards were regarded by the church authorities as heretical, and in the Act of 1401, De heretico comburendo, condemned convicted Lollards to be burnt to death. Between 1512 and 1522 nine Lollards were burnt at the stake in Coventry, having been found guilty of teaching their children English versions of the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandments and the Apostles' Creed.

It can now be found on the island above the Coventry Ring Road at the junction of New Union Street and Quinton Road.

NAME MELBOURNE HOTEL
ADDRESS 74 and 75 SPON STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
c1829 ? VICTORIA VAULTS
? ? SPOTTED DOG
1868 1879 BOARD, 75 Spon Street
1879 1907 MELBOURNE HOTEL
1907 1909 MELBOURNE GARDENS
1909 1910 GRANBY ARMS
1910 2002 BOWLING GREEN INN
2002 2010 NEW BOWLER
William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779 - 1848) was the prime minister who taught statecraft to the young Queen Victoria. Melbourne in Australia was named after him; it was earlier known as Dootigala. Melbourne was seperated from his wife, Caroline Lamb, who wrote minor novels of little interest to the public and had an affair with Lord Byron, which was of much more interest to the public. There is a Melbourne Road in Earlsdon.

This pub is said to have been built originally in c1829 as the Victoria Vaults, then becoming the Spotted Dog. the Board in 1868. It became the Melborne Hotel in 1879. Later named the Melbourne Gardens in 1907 (see below), the Granby Arms in 1909, and the Bowling Green in 1910. The bowling green was sold and the old people's accommodation called Wellington Gardens was erected on its site. The pub was demolished and replaced with a new building in 1959, later named the New Bowler in 2002.

In 1907 the police objected to the renewal of the license for the Melbourne Gardens. I don't know what the ground were for this objection, but the license was renewed by the justices in any way. The name changer to the GRANBY ARMS in 1909, perhaps as a result of the objection.
Known Licensees are;
1879 Richard Leggett
1881 Willford and Greasley
1886 J. Nicholls
1890 - 1893 C. Hampton
1894 J. H. Smith
1896 James H. Tilley
1903 Henry Saunders
1905 T. Buckley
photo

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne ( 1779 - 1848 ) was the prime minister who taught statecraft to the young Queen Victoria. Melbourne, in Australia, was named for him; it had been earlier known as Dootigala. Melbourne was seperated from his wife, Caroline Lamb, who wrote minor novels which had little interest for the public and had an affair with Lord Byron which was of much greater interest to the piublic. ( There is a Melbourne Road in Spon End )

1868 See BOARD, Spon Stret

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P29 MELBOURNE GARDENS, Spon Street Alehouse
Owner : Henry Willford, Smithford Street, Coventry
later : J. Marston & Sons Ltd, Horninglow Brewery, Burton on Trent
Licensee Richard Leggett
14.11.1880 TOL to Henry Willford & Thomas Henry Greasley
3.11.1881 TOL to George Edward Taylor
6.11.1884 TOL to John Batchelor Wright
5.6.1885 TOL to Thomas William Waters
14.1.1886 TOL to Jacob Nicholls
3.11.1887 TOL to Josiah Mills
2.8.1888 TOL to Joseph Johnson
1.11.1888 TOL to Claude Hampton
21.6.1893 TOL to John Harry Smith
6.12.1894 TOL to Lucy Emma Stafford
3.1.1896 TOL to James Henry Tilley

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

1902 Spon P53 Photo

1907 Police Objected to license of Melbourne Gardens, but renewed by Justices.

from 1909 See GRANBY ARMS

LICENSEES


1878 LJ Vol 1 P29 Richard Leggett
1879 Stevens Richard Leggett
1880 LJ Vol 1 P29 Richard Leggett
1880 LJ Vol 1 P29 Henry Willford & Thomas Henry Greasley
1881 C&B Willford & Greasley
1881 LJ Vol 1 P29 Henry Willford & Thomas Henry Greasley
1881 LJ Vol 1 P29 George Edward Taylor
1884 LJ Vol 1 P29 George Edward Taylor
1884 LJ Vol 1 P29 John Batchelor Wright
1885 LJ Vol 1 P29 John Batchelor Wright
1885 LJ Vol 1 P29 Thomas William Waters
1886 LJ Vol 1 P29 Thomas William Waters
1886 LJ Vol 1 P29 Jacob Nicholls
1886 C&B J. Nicholls Hotel
1887 LJ Vol 1 P29 Jacob Nicholls
1887 LJ Vol 1 P29 Josiah Mills
1888 LJ Vol 1 P29 Josiah Mills
1888 LJ Vol 1 P29 Joseph Johnson
1888 LJ Vol 1 P29 Claude Hampton
1890/91 R&G C. Hampton Hotel

1893 Reporter C. Hampton Hotel
1893 LJ Vol 1 P29 Claude Hampton
1893 LJ Vol 1 P29 John Harry Smith
1894 R&G J. H. Smith Hotel
1894 LJ Vol 1 P29 John Harry Smith
1894 LJ Vol 1 P29 Lucy Emma Stafford
1896 LJ Vol 1 P29 Lucy Emma Stafford
1896 LJ Vol 1 P29 James Henry Tilley
1896 R&G James H. Tilley Hotel

1898 LJ Vol 1 P29 James Henry Tilley
1903 R&G Hemry Saunders Hotel

1905 R&G T. Buckley Gardens

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P29 Henry Willford, Smithford Street, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P29 J. Marston & Sons Ltd, Horninglow Brewery, Burton on Trent
1898 LJ Vol 1 P29 J. Marston & Sons Ltd, Horninglow Brewery, Burton on Trent

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.