|ADDRESS||ALLESLEY OLD ROAD CV5 8GJ|
|This pub was named from its proximity to the Maudsley car and commercial vehicles factory in Maudsley Road. A Maudsley car was illustrated in the sign.
The pub was built in 1928. The license of the Empire Vaults, Smithford Street, was removed to the Maudsley and that of the Robin Hood, Cox Street, in consideration of the transfer. It opened in 1929 under licensee, H. J. Shimeld, who continued as licensee until 1934, although according to The Godiva Harrier Club's records, (who made the Maudsley their HQ) the licensee was W. Blackford when the 1929 christmas race was held from their new HQ*
The pub had a bowling green, now the car park. An oak staircase led off the entrance hall and half way up are lovely stained glass windows showing crests depicting periods in Warwickshire history, including the Warwickshire coat of arms and the arms of Coventry. On the top floor is a barrel-vaulted concert room cum dance hall. There were several small rooms including an oak panelled smoke room. It was described in 1979 as a '1930's wooden palace'. It also had a basic cheap, bar. This has all now been knocked into a single large room.
|Known Licensees are;
c1928 - 1929 W. Blackford *
1929 - 1934 H. J. Shimeld
1934 - 1938 H. Sage
1939 - 1940 W. H. Burbury
1955 - 1956 Robert H. Dawson & Allen Sadler
1957 Allen Sadler
1959 Mr. & Mrs. Allen Clarke (see above, see also Royal Oak Inn, Stoney Stanton Road)
1960 - 1962 R. H. Dawson
1982 Jeff Kilborn
1987 John & Pat Gough
2014 to present Sally Radburn
* Thanks to Colin Kirkham for additional information
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.